2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a search of the forum and found some issues similar to mine but no solutions posted.

2016 Trailhawk Power Lift Gate, opens a few inches and closes when using either the Fob or Liftgate Exterior Handle. Can override the open by holding it from closing and then I can manually lift it fully.

I've tried replacing the helper strut on the passenger side but there was no change in the behavior.

Before shelling out $500 for a new power lift strut on the driver side was wondering if anyone found a solution to this problem?

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
578 Posts
I've done a search of the forum and found some issues similar to mine but no solutions posted.

2016 Trailhawk Power Lift Gate, opens a few inches and closes when using either the Fob or Liftgate Exterior Handle. Can override the open by holding it from closing and then I can manually lift it fully.

I've tried replacing the helper strut on the passenger side but there was no change in the behavior.

Before shelling out $500 for a new power lift strut on the driver side was wondering if anyone found a solution to this problem?
Sometimes pulling the lift gate fuse out then putting back in will reset it, but I’ll bet it’s gonna be the power lift.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've done a search of the forum and found some issues similar to mine but no solutions posted. snaptube vidmate

I found this might help:
The PLGM (Power LiftGate Module) confirms safety requirements are met before supplying power to the PDU (Power Drive Unit ) to begin any power cycle. The PLGM software detects obstructions through inputs from the two pinch sensors as well as by monitoring the resistance to travel of the PDU. When a sufficient obstruction is detected, the PLGM will reverse the direction of the liftgate. Also, an exterior liftgate handle pull during an automatic Close cycle will reverse the power liftgate operation to Open, while an exterior liftgate handle pull during an automatic Open cycle will cancel the cycle and put the power liftgate into full manual operation. In addition to the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) customer programmable audible power liftgate chime alerts, when a customer programmable feature is set to Flash Lamps With Lock, two flashes of the exterior signal lamps will occur at the beginning of each power liftgate Open or Close cycle.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Might be a defective or sticky strut or lift motor. Try hosing both down with a good silicone spray, cycle a few times to work the lube in, and see if it's better.

If it's the motor, probably nothing will fix it short of replacement.

The same may be true of the strut - if the spring broke there's too much resistance for the motor. The strut is easy to troubleshoot. With the liftgate open, open the little spring tab on the end of the strut and pull it off. Be careful that the liftgate doesn't come down. Now push the strut in by hand. If it moves rather easily, probably spring is busted. Easy and relatively inexpensive to fix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts