2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Jeep Cherokee latitude approx 65,000 miles

Recently when driving on the highway I got a Message saying Check Transmission and the engine light came on. Then I was unable to accelerate and my RPMS dropped. After pulling over and turning the car off, the transmission message was gone but light remained on but drove fine. The next day the light is off.

Has anyone else experienced this problem ?

·
Registered
376 Posts
First have your battery load tested. Modern vehicles are super sensitive weak batteries due to all the computers. I know it sounds crazy but people get all kinds of odd errors and glitches and sometimes its just a failing battery. After that is ruled out. See if the service transmission message comes back. If it does get you a code reader or stop by a auto parts store. Most will check codes for free. Post what codes you find. Maybe you will not get the service transmission message again. Could of been a one off glitch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This also happened to me last week. I have about 65k Km's on the jeep. Stopping, going into park and then drive would allow me to continue as long as I kept the speed under 100km/60mph. Anything over and it would happen again. I have since disconnected the battery for hours and the Service transmission light went out along with the engine light. It has since happened again but after sitting in the garage for 24 hours there is no service transmission light not engine light. It works fine for driving around town.

What I did notice the morning of the problem was what I thought was the power steering pump failing. Now the car over the last three years did have a faint noise upon a cold start but this morning it confirmed my suspicions that it was the power steering pump being very noisy. The noise did fade as the car warmed up. There is nothing wrong with the pump it seems.

And of course the car just came out of its warranty period. So now I start the car and if I hear any noise I immediately turn it off and then back on and the noise is gone. Weird...sounds electronic. Having said that I am wanting to know if anyone has attempted a hard reset of the electronic system on a 2016 model? The car is scheduled for the shop this coming Tuesday.

I am really hoping it is the battery but my instinct is saying it is the tranny and I am screwed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If it's a stock battery replace it. Way over due. Get the jeep scanned, what are codes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts