2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i just purchased a 2016 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk with 30k miles on it. Sometimes when i goto start it, it wont kick over... all the electrical comes on but no start.. then if i take the key out and wait like 10 seconds, put the key back in it starts... this is really strange. Has this happened to anyone or any solutions? I definitely dont want to be stranded lol thanks all!

·
Super Moderator
7,328 Posts
HI and welcome!

If you can't confirm that the battery is not original, you may want to have it load tested/checked. The batteries in KLs tend to last about 4 years, 3 in severe heat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI and welcome!

If you can't confirm that the battery is not original, you may want to have it load tested/checked. The batteries in KLs tend to last about 4 years, 3 in severe heat.
Sounds good, iv googled it and seems others have came across this as well.. looks lioe its either the battery or a pcm, Power control modual?

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Battery is a big issue with these Cherokees. Have it tested for sure. PCM ? I really doubt it...

Welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do for sure! Im not sure i read in some other guys post it was the Pcm. But it def only does it via cold start. Once it starts its good all day. So you’re probably right battery wise, hoping to a easy fix! Lol

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Will do for sure! Im not sure i read in some other guys post it was the Pcm. But it def only does it via cold start. Once it starts its good all day. So you’re probably right battery wise, hoping to a easy fix! Lol
Honestly, I can't say I've ever seen a member complain of such symptoms with the PCM as the culprit.

Do you have the V6 ? If so, you have engine Stop/Start (ESS), which is an indirect battery health monitor ; by that I mean ESS will only work if the battery is healthy, so it's good for t-shooting. If ESS does not work and you see a Battery charging message as to why it is not working... then 90% chance (roughly) it's the battery dying.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly, I can't say I've ever seen a member complain of such symptoms with the PCM as the culprit.

Do you have the V6 ? If so, you have engine Stop/Start (ESS), which is an indirect battery health monitor ; by that I mean ESS will only work if the battery is healthy, so it's good for t-shooting. If ESS does not work and you see a Battery charging message as to why it is not working... then 90% chance (roughly) it's the battery dying.
Thanks! Yes i have the V6. And have the Ess. Will check it out after work!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! Yes i have the V6. And have the Ess. Will check it out after work!
Though i never had problems with the ess, it stops fine and starts right up at stop lights ect... this seems to only happen per cold start.. strange for sure

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Hmmm. If ESS still works fine, chances are your battery is still good... I'll have to give this more thought. Do check on ESS again tomorrow, just to be sure it still works.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So i work overnights, got in my Cherokee and like normal it didnt start at first, waited a couple seconds then started like normal. Took a video of it but not sure how id post it.. anyways so i scrolled to the (start/stop) screen on the dash, and it said engine temp low not ready.. so i figured ok thats fine lets turn it off and on see what changes, now it says start stop not ready battery charging. So maybe that’s definitely the problem? My battery dash level says 14.4volts tho.. that dosnt seem to low to me?

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
So i work overnights, got in my Cherokee and like normal it didnt start at first, waited a couple seconds then started like normal. Took a video of it but not sure how id post it.. anyways so i scrolled to the (start/stop) screen on the dash, and it said engine temp low not ready.. so i figured ok thats fine lets turn it off and on see what changes, now it says start stop not ready battery charging. So maybe that’s definitely the problem? My battery dash level says 14.4volts tho.. that dosnt seem to low to me?
took this short video.. the second turn of the key turns it on.
That is very-very strange.
1) ESS : to get battery charging is normal after the Jeep is started. It usually goes back to normal after a few minutes driving time.
2) Dash battery voltage, when the engine is running, is alternator output, not battery voltage so that's not a reliable parameter is this case. But we know your alternator is fine, haha.
3) If you had a dying battery, it wouldn't "wake up" after a failed first attempt at turning over the engine, like yours is doing.

I wish I knew what was up here... Ignition switch ? I know mine sometimes won't turn over immediately as I turn the key fob : I'll maintain it in Start postiion for a couple seconds - nothing - then when I release it to Run it starts right up. Maybe try that ? Turn fob to start for 2 seconds (if it doesn't turn over right away), then let it return to Run (don't turn it down to Off) and see if it'll turn over.

And do keep an eye on ESS, if it works after driving a bit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is very-very strange.
1) ESS : to get battery charging is normal after the Jeep is started. It usually goes back to normal after a few minutes driving time.
2) Dash battery voltage, when the engine is running, is alternator output, not battery voltage so that's not a reliable parameter is this case. But we know your alternator is fine, haha.
3) If you had a dying battery, it wouldn't "wake up" after a failed first attempt at turning over the engine, like yours is doing.

I wish I knew what was up here... Ignition switch ? I know mine sometimes won't turn over immediately as I turn the key fob : I'll maintain it in Start postiion for a couple seconds - nothing - then when I release it to Run it starts right up. Maybe try that ? Turn fob to start for 2 seconds (if it doesn't turn over right away), then let it return to Run (don't turn it down to Off) and see if it'll turn over.

And do keep an eye on ESS, if it works after driving a bit.
Sounds good. I dont drive to far home from work, but even after i sat in with it running for a few extra minutes, it still said start stop charging battery not ready. Normally it seems good to go after a couple mins. Will see when i go back tonight lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So update... i figured i would give this a shot. I have 2 key fobs so i tried to spare one which looks brand new.. started right up via cold start no problem. The stop go also worked after about 1 min no problem. This would be very strange if this was the solution.. maybe low battery in my key fob who knows... ill see when i leave work if it instantly starts.

·
Super Moderator
7,328 Posts
Interesting, did not even think of that! Good to know if mine decides not to start without giving the 'key fob battery low' alert (which, BTW, it seems like yours should have if that's truly the issue)

Maybe, and I just throw this out as an afterthought...the RF transponder is having trouble connecting to the Jeep? This would be something the dealer might have to check/resolve, maybe by recoding the FOB to the Jeep

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So everythings been going great, starting up instantly, no issues with the start stop.. then today i tried to start it and it took a second again, then i got a yellow warning with the start stop logo saying service start stop and my battery was holding at 14.0 this time. Then i turned it off and started it again and the yellow A symbol went away but said start stop unavailable. Back to a battery problem maybe idk i never checked it yet lol

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
So everythings been going great, starting up instantly, no issues with the start stop.. then today i tried to start it and it took a second again, then i got a yellow warning with the start stop logo saying service start stop and my battery was holding at 14.0 this time. Then i turned it off and started it again and the yellow A symbol went away but said start stop unavailable. Back to a battery problem maybe idk i never checked it yet lol
Hmmm. I'm wondering if it could be the intelligent battery sensor this time (aka IBS). It's been known to go off spec for no reason, and cause ESS problems.
14V is alternator output (engine running), so like i said earlier, you can't use that number to evaluate battery health. Wiht that said... I've not seen a bad IBS cause a cranking delay ; that's weird..

Are the battery connectors on tight ? I mean real tight ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts