2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Handling on Ice/Snow

27K views 160 replies 36 participants last post by  Lindy 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I recently just bought a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk for my wife. It seems to drive great on dry pavement, but on snow and ice is a different story.

When you get going over 35 to 40 mph on snow or ice the rear end starts shifting badly, feeling as if you are going to spin out of control. It feels as if once a wheel slips it seems to over compensate.

If you suddenly hit some snow or ice at highway speeds it starts losing control and feels like its going to send you in circles in to the ditch or worse yet, oncoming traffic.

We also had a scenario on dry pavement where I went to pass someone. I basically floored the gas and was changing lanes, and once I hit the rumble strips with my passenger side tires the steering wheel pulled hard towards the right badly and almost sent us in to the side of the car that I was passing.

BTW tires are brand new, and I actually have 2 sets, both of which are new and it does it with both sets, so we can rule that out.

Also it does this in Auto mode, snow mode, sport mode, etc. With or without traction control on. Although taking off traction control seems to help slightly.

To me it seems like an issue with the active drive 2 system not operating properly or something with traction control maybe.

My question is, has anyone heard of such a thing or experienced this personally.

I highly appreciate any input. Thanks for taking the time to read...

See less See more
#131 ·
It also wears the tires unevenly causing alot of road noise
Well, if you had it checked at two different places, it is not likely that it's the alignment equipment, more than likely is worn rear knuckle bushings on your equipment...😎
I agree with Scott. There are a lot of members on this forum with Cherokees, some have put a lot of miles on them... and I've not heard of a systemic alignment issue. The post I linked to earlier, from member @Desoto : just know he ran a taxi fleet with a lot of Cherokees in it, in San Francisco, and he put a lot of miles on many of them and was very familiar with known problems and defects... and early rear tire wear was not one of them, as far as I can remember.
With the specs I posted, we can see the rear camber is set to -0.99°, so that's barely one degree away from 'square' to the road. Visually, you need a keen eye to spot it. However, with worn rear knuckle bushings... the camber goes negative to a point is it easily visible. Mine were scary tilted adn I had tire wear to prove it. Prior to the bushings going bad, my tire wear was even at the back.

So... have you had the rear knuckle bushings replaced yet ?

#133 ·
I replaced the knuckle bushings and it didn't fix the problem as I am telling you the two shops both looked at it the same day and determined the alignment was perfect.

Leaving the rear end.the way it was I asked them to try to get the wheels to 90 Degrees.

I was told this vehicle 2016 Cherokee trailhawk had a European rear-end and that's the program in the alignment equipment.

I'm telling you what it too 3 years for me to figure out (facts)

I'm asking if anyone else has seen this if you have one look at the wheels from the back

#134 ·
I replaced the knuckle bushings and it didn't fix the problem as I am telling you the two shops both looked at it the same day and determined the alignment was perfect.

Leaving the rear end.the way it was I asked them to try to get the wheels to 90 Degrees.

I was told this vehicle 2016 Cherokee trailhawk had a European rear-end and that's the program in the alignment equipment.

I'm telling you what it too 3 years for me to figure out (facts)

I'm asking if anyone else has seen this if you have one look at the wheels from the back
I just have to make sure we're clear on what you have. Do you have a Cherokee KL or do you have a Grand Cherokee WK2? I only ask because no KL in the North American market has programing to adjust anything in the suspension or alignment. I'm also confused as to what a European rear-end is and who is telling you this info? As most of us are in North America none of this is making any sense.

#141 ·
Fiat Group currently produces vehicles under twelve brands: Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Dodge, Ferrari, Fiat, Fiat Professional, Jeep, Lancia, Maserati, Ram Trucks, and SRT. We all drive Fiats...🤔😎

• Helpful
Reactions: rumrunner and Mark_
#143 ·
Jokes and bullshit it dosent matter what I had to figure out and pay for myself.

Because the dealerships couldn't figure out the problem and jerked me around until it was out of warranty.

Of course chrisler said it had to be diagnosed before the warranty was up.

They kept telling me there was nothing wrong with it. How can you say there's nothing wrong with it when it's eating the tires off it.

I guess there aren't any people in this forum that know what there talking about either.

There should have been a recall it could have killed someone.

And as expected no one cares but maybe a lawyer getting paid to.

#145 ·
I guess there aren't any people in this forum that know what there talking about either.
I guess not...Good luck with all that. BTW, I don't think anybody around here has had their Cherokee try to kill them yet. Mine sure hasn't...🤔😎

Cartoon Wonder Woman Goggles Poster Art

#144 ·
Post pics of your Jeep and an alignment report or 2, will be good practice for when an attorney asks to see them, otherwise you'd be sol

Reactions: Flybynightcru
#148 ·
Hey folks, I'm just catching up on this thread and thanks for all the information everyone's posted. My 2014 TH has had visibly inward-slanted rear wheels from when I got it (used) two and a half years ago. I'm sure I must be at the maximum (-1.15deg) according to the chart Mark linked to in post 119. (I do have a lift but it was visibly inward-slanted even before the lift).

I assume that the intent was when loaded down towing, the back end would 'flatten out' a bit but I don't really know much regarding tires/alignment etc. so this was just me trying to figure why it was so negative cambered.

I actually replaced my rear wheel hubs/bearings last weekend (unrelated to camber - was also doing the RDM driver's side seal to stop the weeping) and even with brand new hubs, the negative camber is still visibly noticeable. While doing the hubs I was going to re-adjust the camber bolts on the rear control arm and toe arm however the control arm bolt was rusted and I didn't feel like dealing with it.

Has anyone adjusted their rear camber (by adjusting the two camber bolts)?

Glad (I guess) to hear that I'm not alone and others have visible negative camber in the rear. My fronts are positive camber due to the 2" lift so I rotate my tires front<->back to even out the wear as the rear visibly wears on the insider edge more and the fronts, on the outside edge. But this spring/summer, I want to take the fronts and rotate the strut cap to get those as close to neutral/0deg as much as possible after which the front-rear rotation won't keep even wear on the tires anymore.

ps: When I did my hubs, I noticed that the bushings for the trailing, camber and control arms seemed fine. The bushing for the toe link has significant cracking/tears but not enough all the way through and around where it could be moving within the bushing sleeve so I don't think I have a moveable bushing issue.

#150 ·
Hey folks, I'm just catching up on this thread and thanks for all the information everyone's posted. My 2014 TH has had visibly inward-slanted rear wheels from when I got it (used) two and a half years ago. I'm sure I must be at the maximum (-1.15deg) according to the chart Mark linked to in post 119. (I do have a lift but it was visibly inward-slanted even before the lift).
But has your Cherokee been 'eating' tires as the other posters states? Has your Cherokee tried to kill you as a result of this?

Serious questions there...

Reactions: Mark_