2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Check your tire pressures. run what the sticker says. too much is bad as you are only using the center of the tire not the whole tread area.
This was my first thought, as I've done this before. Overinflated tires WILL make it feel "loose" as you've described. Check your pressures, and definitely get that alignment checked as well. One or both of those should clear up your problems. :)

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
The tire pressure monitoring does a good job of keeping us honest on tire pressures, within *normal operating parameters* anyway. From the descriptions in the original post, this is much more than what a few PSI up or down could do, at least in my experience... And one theory I adhere to : higher pressures in winter, when driving on ice or hard pack, are a good thing... because the contact patch is smaller so more pressure from the tire on the ground. More pressure on ice means more traction. This is one reason why we hear narrower tires in winter are better, too, because of the smaller contact patch they create (unless you drive in very thick snow).

Can't wait to hear back on the alignment...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Overall my trailhawk has been great in snow. I have however experienced the hard pull issue when passing, but only once. Similarly the car pulled extremely hard to the right under power mid way through passing. I believe that I actually slipped a tire and the car was attempting to correct from a presumed traction issue which caused the pull. I was able to control it but it was a bit alarming.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hey guys, again thank you for all the input. I really appreciate it. My appointment for alignment is tomorrow at 3 so I am anxiously awaiting that.

Last night I took out a level to look at the rear tires. (I know this isn't a very accurate measurement for camber) and it looks as if both rear tires have a negative camber. On the drivers side tire it wasn't much, bubble on level was just slightly off center.

As for the passenger side rear tire the bubble on the level was way outside the lines. And after inspecting the angle of the tires even with a naked eye I could see that the passenger side rear tire has a horrible negative camber. (Both Fronts looked good)

I am almost convinced an alignment will be the solution. If not, I will be highly disappointed.

I will post again tomorrow as soon as I get the car back to test out. We got 14 inches of snow yesterday so I don't think I'll have a problem finding some shitty roads, hah.

And again thank you guys for your input. I've never joined a forum of any kind and I can say it's been extremely helpful!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2014 Cherokee Latitude 4x4 with active drive 2 and when I put it in snow mode it handles everything I can throw at it. In snow mode I can barely make it slip if I try. Got two feet of snow this week with ice underneath from rain the night before and it did extremely well in snow mode.
In auto mode it does slip because the **** transmission throws it into the lower gears way to hard and fast creating spinning in the rear wheels, that's why I always keep it in snow in any wet conditions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Alright guys, took in the jeep today for an alignment and this was 110% the issue. Found out camber was a bit off on both tires in the rear. Passenger side more so, but even worse was they were both toe'd out nearly an inch. (Guy didn't tell me a degree)

Afterwards tested the **** out of it on all kinds of snow/slush/ice roads and it handled like a **** dream. I cannot believe how different it feels. It literally went from the absolute worst vehicle I've ever drove on snow packed roads to by far the best.

Extremely pleased that this was the fix. I blindly trusted that the previous owner who put on the lift would have done things right and got an alignment, but he didn't. And that's on me. My bad.

Thank you guys for all the input! Not to be an ass but turns out I didn't actually need any schooling on how snow works. Haha

·
Registered
818 Posts
Woo Hoo!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a "lifted" P/U truck several years ago and could barely keep it between the fences on the 400 mile trip home. I immediately returned it to stock condition and drove it for many years, although I had to replace the steering box,and every bushing in the front end. I suspect that the suspension and steering components had been subjected to severe overloads when "lifted".

·
Registered
161 Posts
Glad to see you got it under control. Mine has not been lifted....yet, so if nothing else comes of my alignment tonight, I will have a base before lifting. First going Dobinson, they are in the garage and then probably a partial Hazard sky

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Glad to see you got it under control. Mine has not been lifted....yet, so if nothing else comes of my alignment tonight, I will have a base before lifting. First going Dobinson, they are in the garage and then probably a partial Hazard sky
Thanks man! So what issues were you having again? I believe you said it appeared to have a negative camber as I described mine, or are there other symptoms as well. The guy that did my alignment said that the spec for the Trailhawk is a negative 1 degree, which sounded pretty crazy to me. Can anyone else speak to the specs?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I bought a "lifted" P/U truck several years ago and could barely keep it between the fences on the 400 mile trip home. I immediately returned it to stock condition and drove it for many years, although I had to replace the steering box,and every bushing in the front end. I suspect that the suspension and steering components had been subjected to severe overloads when "lifted".
The guy who did the alignment said he had any easy time getting it back to spec and that everything suspension wise looked good. But I agree, it is something I am going to have to keep an eye on. Hoping there's no other damage done from driving it so out of alignment.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I thought something looked strange while I was under the Jeep while putting RRO supersliders on, then I saw your post and got me thinking about it again, plus we had lots of snow I thought it was handling a bit wierd so I am here getting the alignment checked. If it is nothing, great then I start working on my Build.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I recently just bought a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk for my wife. It seems to drive great on dry pavement, but on snow and ice is a different story.

When you get going over 35 to 40 mph on snow or ice the rear end starts shifting badly, feeling as if you are going to spin out of control. It feels as if once a wheel slips it seems to over compensate.

If you suddenly hit some snow or ice at highway speeds it starts losing control and feels like its going to send you in circles in to the ditch or worse yet, oncoming traffic.

We also had a scenario on dry pavement where I went to pass someone. I basically floored the gas and was changing lanes, and once I hit the rumble strips with my passenger side tires the steering wheel pulled hard towards the right badly and almost sent us in to the side of the car that I was passing.

BTW tires are brand new, and I actually have 2 sets, both of which are new and it does it with both sets, so we can rule that out.

Also it does this in Auto mode, snow mode, sport mode, etc. With or without traction control on. Although taking off traction control seems to help slightly.

To me it seems like an issue with the active drive 2 system not operating properly or something with traction control maybe.

My question is, has anyone heard of such a thing or experienced this personally.

I highly appreciate any input. Thanks for taking the time to read...
YES! I have the exact same problem. I've had two 2016 Trailhawks and they both suck in the snow. A lot of other TH owners will tell you "it's the best vehicle I've ever driven in the snow". Don't listen to those fools. You know your car better than anyone because you're the one driving it! My other half won't drive my Trailhawk in the winter at all. Too dangerous. It's a piece of crap in the snow and on ice and any rainy pavement. It fishtails all over the road and especially when turning corners, you have to drive real slow around corners to keep the rear end from slipping. I don't feel safe in mine in the winter. I thought maybe it was just a problem with my first TH but now that I bought a second one I know it's a problem with these vehicles in general. I am thinking of getting snow tires for next season. I don't know though if it's the tires or just the nature of these vehicles. I am very disappointed in them and thought they were my dream car but once I'm done with it we are going to buy a Subaru Outback instead. We currently have a Hyundai Tuscon with Canadian Tire General tires on it and it's way better in the snow than my Trailhawk. It doesn't matter if it's in auto or snow mode, or traction control is on or not it just likes to slide around. I've had so many near misses. I drive it VERY defensively in the wet weather. Unfortunately, I cannot enjoy this vehicle for what I thought it was. I'm glad to read your post. Finally, somebody else honest about how these things really drive in snowy and wet conditions.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
391 Posts
YES! I have the exact same problem. I've had two 2016 Trailhawks and they both suck in the snow. A lot of other TH owners will tell you "it's the best vehicle I've ever driven in the snow". Don't listen to those fools. You know your car better than anyone because you're the one driving it! My other half won't drive my Trailhawk in the winter at all. Too dangerous. It's a piece of crap in the snow and on ice and any rainy pavement. It fishtails all over the road and especially when turning corners, you have to drive real slow around corners to keep the rear end from slipping. I don't feel safe in mine in the winter. I thought maybe it was just a problem with my first TH but now that I bought a second one I know it's a problem with these vehicles in general. I am thinking of getting snow tires for next season. I don't know though if it's the tires or just the nature of these vehicles. I am very disappointed in them and thought they were my dream car but once I'm done with it we are going to buy a Subaru Outback instead. We currently have a Hyundai Tuscon with Canadian Tire General tires on it and it's way better in the snow than my Trailhawk. It doesn't matter if it's in auto or snow mode, or traction control is on or not it just likes to slide around. I've had so many near misses. I drive it VERY defensively in the wet weather. Unfortunately, I cannot enjoy this vehicle for what I thought it was. I'm glad to read your post. Finally, somebody else honest about how these things really drive in snowy and wet conditions.
Alright guys, took in the jeep today for an alignment and this was 110% the issue. Found out camber was a bit off on both tires in the rear. Passenger side more so, but even worse was they were both toe'd out nearly an inch. (Guy didn't tell me a degree)
Afterwards tested the ** out of it on all kinds of snow/slush/ice roads and it handled like a ** dream. I cannot believe how different it feels. It literally went from the absolute worst vehicle I've ever drove on snow packed roads to by far the best.
Extremely pleased that this was the fix. I blindly trusted that the previous owner who put on the lift would have done things right and got an alignment, but he didn't. And that's on me. My bad.
Thank you guys for all the input! Not to be an ass but turns out I didn't actually need any schooling on how snow works. Haha
You might try reading the rest of the thread. A Jeep maintained and in spec is a fantastic all weather driver. Out of spec, it's a totally different story (just like any vehicle)

21 - 40 of 57 Posts