2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 2.4l - 400,000+ miles
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my Cherokee has over 400,000 miles now and it still is running. Issues I have had:

1) I have had the fuel pump changed twice. Next time I will do it myself as it really does not seem as harf as it sounds.

2) I have replaced the radiator twice. They are cheap if you do it yourself.

3) I have replace the cooling fan for the radiator 3 times. I did it myself. And I only paid for one fan assembly since they come with a lifetime warranty where I buy them.

4) I had a fuel cap light come on along with the check engine light, I bought a new ESIM module for 32 bucks on Amazon and replace it in about a half hour including putting the tools away.

5) The rest is just routine maintenance performed by me. I use Mobile 1 synthetic oil.

I am going to change the motor mounts and work on suspension as it still has original shocks. I need to put new knuckles on the rear as the camber is off and there is no way that I know of to align the rears. I will try to get to 500,000 miles now. I use the vehicle for Amazon deliveries and ride share so there is a lot of stop and go and idle going on. Cheers.

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
Wow... congrats !!

Ok-ok I have 3 questions :
1) Which Mobil 1 (viscosity) do you use ?
2) How often do you do oil changes ?
3) Any oil consumption ?

Thx...

Reactions: 2020AltitudeKL

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow... congrats !!

Ok-ok I have 3 questions :
1) Which Mobil 1 (viscosity) do you use ?
2) How often do you do oil changes ?
3) Any oil consumption ?

Thx...
I use Mobil 1 0w-20. I use the high mileage blend now, but I do not think it matters. The oil is 10,000 mile oil, but I change when the dash tells me to change at 8,000 miles. I use Fram oil filters rated for 20,000 miles but I install a new one every oil change and I change the air filter every third oil change. Keep in mind I need to change oil about every 5 weeks. I believe a motor in motion lasts longer than a motor that does not get used often. The motor consumes oil, so I add 1/2 a quart at about 4,000 miles. The Cherokee is known for stopping when the oil sensor senses low oil. Even a little low. So I make sure to keep the oil level in the proper range.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s absolutely amazing! Regular maintenance is one of the best things you can do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks.

I keep getting sales calls for an extended warranty. Of course I tell them I want to get one, but after I tell them my miles they either hang up or tell me I am a liar! I always try to make a bet with them!

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
632 Posts
For the rear, go ahead and change out the springs as well. Its not hard to do, and shouldn't be that expensive. At least with other vehicles with independent suspension, as they start to sag over time, it throws out the camber. I would assume the KL would be no different.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Is your cherokee front wheel drive or one of the AWD variants?

I remember when I was deciding what vehicle to purchase, I read up on the tigershark engine as much as I could find online, and what I did find painted a picture of a motor designed for longevity. If executed correctly of course. (timing chain instead of belt, one head, one head gasket, one camshaft (half the number of every other modern cylinder engine), naturally aspirated, etc.
Even the Multiair variable valve timing system seems elegant and low wear and tear in theory.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the rear, go ahead and change out the springs as well. Its not hard to do, and shouldn't be that expensive. At least with other vehicles with independent suspension, as they start to sag over time, it throws out the camber. I would assume the KL would be no different.
Thanks. I will do that to get the rear camber back to were it should be. I will do a lot of suspension part replacement now that i am on a mission to get 500,000 miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is your cherokee front wheel drive or one of the AWD variants?

I remember when I was deciding what vehicle to purchase, I read up on the tigershark engine as much as I could find online, and what I did find painted a picture of a motor designed for longevity. If executed correctly of course. (timing chain instead of belt, one head, one head gasket, one camshaft (half the number of every other modern cylinder engine), naturally aspirated, etc.
Even the Multiair variable valve timing system seems elegant and low wear and tear in theory.
I have the four wheel drive model even though I never use four wheel drive. Next time I will only get a front wheel drive as I only use the vehicle for delivery. Since I am 65 years old, nobody will hire me for a real job so I just gig it with Amazon Flex and Uber Eats. I do not do rides any more. I find the freedom refreshing and it serves my needs. Lots of time for hiking .

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have the four wheel drive model even though I never use four wheel drive. Next time I will only get a front wheel drive as I only use the vehicle for delivery. Since I am 65 years old, nobody will hire me for a real job so I just gig it with Amazon Flex and Uber Eats. I do not do rides any more. I find the freedom refreshing and it serves my needs. Lots of time for hiking .
Wow, that's impressive that the PTU, rear driveshaft, and the RDM have held up for 400,000mi!
Even when you're in automatic mode, the AWD system engages when you're accelerating from a stop, and in some other situations like if your windshield wipers are on for instance. But that's ok because all those components need to rotate on a regular basis to stay lubricated.
We just see many issues with the PTUs and RDMs on this forum and it makes it seem like there are fundamental design/manufacturing issues with these components, but yours is at least one example that the AWD components are capable of lasting and functioning properly for a lot of miles.

How many times have you had to replace the brakes?

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
632 Posts
Wow, that's impressive that the PTU, rear driveshaft, and the RDM have held up for 400,000mi!
Even when you're in automatic mode, the AWD system engages when you're accelerating from a stop, and in some other situations like if your windshield wipers are on for instance. But that's ok because all those components need to rotate on a regular basis to stay lubricated.
We just see many issues with the PTUs and RDMs on this forum and it makes it seem like there are fundamental design/manufacturing issues with these components, but yours is at least one example that the AWD components are capable of lasting and functioning properly for a lot of miles.

I was listening to a youtube video where a mechanic was replacing a ptu in the Grand Cherokee, and they mentioned those are usually due to either not rotating tires or not keeping the air pressure in each tire the same. Therefore it was overworking and wearing out the clutches. Outside of actually breaking them on the trail and the earlier years, I wonder how many KLs have the same issues going on when theirs fail?

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,995 Posts
Judging by number of high mileage Cherokees for sale on Carfax (100K +)
I still feel that forum posts (any forum) are highly skewed towards those that have issues, peppered in are the fans and true motorheads

Keeping up with simple routine maintenance is key on any vehicle.
Not keeping up with simple routine maintenance is recipe for major system failures.

Just like any other vehicle, most people with their daily drivers, are not likely to visit, or participate in this forum if their Cherokee is just soldiering on.

Congrats to @leroy1016cherokee for reaching such a huge milestone!
:cool:

Reactions: Leems and Lindy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I use the Wagner ceramic brake pads that have the funny design with grooves and I have replaced the rotors with drilled and slotted rotors. It has been about 100k miles since my last brake job, so I will do it in a week or two. I bought the pads about 50k ago and when I checked the pads then, they looked real good, so I left it alone. Still no noise from the wear indicators.

I wish I could just use the front wheel drive as every time you hit a bump it wants to go into 4 wheel and then back to front only when it is flat again. It is annoying. Next time I will only get the two wheel drive since I do not go off road and it seems to be a waste to have four wheel drive with the associated problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Judging by number of high mileage Cherokees for sale on Carfax (100K +)
I still feel that forum posts (any forum) are highly skewed towards those that have issues, peppered in are the fans and true motorheads

Keeping up with simple routine maintenance is key on any vehicle.
Not keeping up with simple routine maintenance is recipe for major system failures.

Just like any other vehicle, most people with their daily drivers, are not likely to visit, or participate in this forum if their Cherokee is just soldiering on.

Congrats to @leroy1016cherokee for reaching such a huge milestone!
:cool:
I am wondering if I should change the ATF since I have never changed it since the manual says it does not need to be serviced. I have found everything I need to check the level (dip stick) on Amazon. I am afraid to touch it and I go by the rule if it ain't broken, leave it alone. It still shifts fine - ALTHOUGH - I have had a dozen times had to pull over and reset the OBDII when the transmission acted up. It always works after resetting. It seems the computer glitches every now and then.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I use the Wagner ceramic brake pads that have the funny design with grooves and I have replaced the rotors with drilled and slotted rotors. It has been about 100k miles since my last brake job, so I will do it in a week or two. I bought the pads about 50k ago and when I checked the pads then, they looked real good, so I left it alone. Still no noise from the wear indicators.

I wish I could just use the front wheel drive as every time you hit a bump it wants to go into 4 wheel and then back to front only when it is flat again. It is annoying. Next time I will only get the two wheel drive since I do not go off road and it seems to be a waste to have four wheel drive with the associated problems.
I've got 91k miles on the factory brakes and they still don't make any noise and the rotors have a very very slight lip on the edge from wear.
You can force the Cherokee into FWD by taking out the 4x4 fuse. I don't remember which one it is, but there are threads on this forum about this, as people have done it in the past both for fuel efficienty, as well as if for instance, they have a problem with their driveshaft and don't want to either hear the noise every time it engages, or to cause further damage.

I bought mine with 4x4 for the capability because I do need to occasionally drive in snow when we visit our cabin in the winter.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I am wondering if I should change the ATF since I have never changed it since the manual says it does not need to be serviced. I have found everything I need to check the level (dip stick) on Amazon. I am afraid to touch it and I go by the rule if it ain't broken, leave it alone. It still shifts fine - ALTHOUGH - I have had a dozen times had to pull over and reset the OBDII when the transmission acted up. It always works after resetting. It seems the computer glitches every now and then.
If you're going to replace it soon, don't bother. it's a sealed transmission, and if it has never leaked, it's still got all its' fluid in it.
If you were going to keep it for another 400k miles then it might be worth replacing the fluid, but I'd take it to a shop that is experienced with this specific transmission.
There are very tight tolerances on the temperature of the transmission fluid when checking the level, as well as on how much fluid is actually supposed to be in the transmission.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've got 91k miles on the factory brakes and they still don't make any noise and the rotors have a very very slight lip on the edge from wear.
You can force the Cherokee into FWD by taking out the 4x4 fuse. I don't remember which one it is, but there are threads on this forum about this, as people have done it in the past both for fuel efficienty, as well as if for instance, they have a problem with their driveshaft and don't want to either hear the noise every time it engages, or to cause further damage.

I bought mine with 4x4 for the capability because I do need to occasionally drive in snow when we visit our cabin in the winter.
Thanks for the info. I will search for the 4X4 or selector fuse to remove. I will do that right now!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
You have been using "four wheel drive" for 400000 miles, the AWD system is always active.

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
892 Posts
You have been using "four wheel drive" for 400000 miles, the AWD system is always active.
Good point - if he's been doing it for this long, why change now - it obviously hasn't caused any problems, other than the drive engagement, but that wouldn't be a real issue, right?

Reactions: ArizonaFred

·
Registered
582 Posts
Good point - if he's been doing it for this long, why change now - it obviously hasn't caused any problems, other than the drive engagement, but that wouldn't be a real issue, right?
For a delivery job, even a small increase in gas mileage can add up to a significant amount over time.
Personally, I wouldn't do it because it also disables the stability control, and that's a safety compromise I wouldn't make.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts