2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Registered
I contacted the Xenon Pro to double check and go through all my connections with Relay Harness and Anti flicker. It looks like the all connections were correct and they told me that their HID is not compatible with my vehicle. 馃樀馃樀馃樀 wow all the time wasted.
But now I had some experience and with the information I have gathered from you I wanted to go with XENON DEPOT HID KIT. It is more costly then the xenon pro kit I have purchase but looks much higher quality and hopefully fuss free.
I will keep posted here when I got them installed. Anyone got any PROMO code from them or is it normal to get price around 275$ without tax.
Have you made the purchase yet ? I'm asking because... perhaps a safer bet would be a DDM Tuning kit. it is also less expensive than Xenon Depot.
Members here who have DDM Tuning kits got them via Amazon, mostly. Looking now, there are 35W Canbus kits available on Amazon, but no 55W kits. DDM Tuning has a website and store, and they sell 55W Canbus kits there (Canbus means PWM, basically).

Here's their Ultra kit (with Canbus) : DDM Tuning
Slighty less expensive Plus kit (with Canbus) : DDM Tuning

Either of those DDM Tuning kits should be almost plug and play on your 2016. I say almost because... members who have purchased them recently said they had to reverse the polarity on one terminal to get the lights to fire. We used to have to do that with Xenon Depot kits back in 2014, but they corrected the problem. Reversing polarity is quite easy, you need to use a precision screwdriver or similar to remove the two pins from the connector, then reconnect in the opposite slot.
No need for relays on those DDM Tuning kits, they have all you need.
Disclaimer : I can't garantee this will work 100%, but there are enough members here who have installed them to think they should work...
I've said it before but I'll repeat it here : I love my Xenon Depot kit, love their customer service. I just don't know how/if they've improved the kits, especially for 2016s because... a lot of problems were reported here on the forum. Most were corrected by installing relays and resistors (provided for free by Xenon Depot), but some said they still had problems... so I can't garantee Xenon Depot kits work 100% now, especially on 2016s..

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
Have you made the purchase yet ? I'm asking because... perhaps a safer bet would be a DDM Tuning kit. it is also less expensive than Xenon Depot.
Members here who have DDM Tuning kits got them via Amazon, mostly. Looking now, there are 35W Canbus kits available on Amazon, but no 55W kits. DDM Tuning has a website and store, and they sell 55W Canbus kits there (Canbus means PWM, basically).

Here's their Ultra kit (with Canbus) : DDM Tuning
Slighty less expensive Plus kit (with Canbus) : DDM Tuning

Either of those DDM Tuning kits should be almost plug and play on your 2016. I say almost because... members who have purchased them recently said they had to reverse the polarity on one terminal to get the lights to fire. We used to have to do that with Xenon Depot kits back in 2014, but they corrected the problem. Reversing polarity is quite easy, you need to use a precision screwdriver or similar to remove the two pins from the connector, then reconnect in the opposite slot.
No need for relays on those DDM Tuning kits, they have all you need.
Disclaimer : I can't garantee this will work 100%, but there are enough members here who have installed them to think they should work...
I've said it before but I'll repeat it here : I love my Xenon Depot kit, love their customer service. I just don't know how/if they've improved the kits, especially for 2016s because... a lot of problems were reported here on the forum. Most were corrected by installing relays and resistors (provided for free by Xenon Depot), but some said they still had problems... so I can't garantee Xenon Depot kits work 100% now, especially on 2016s..
Thank you very much for your comments and suggestion as an alternative Mark, however when I checked I saw the earliest deliver seems around Jan 29th- Feb3rd. I also ordered the XENON DEPOT ones already including all the PWMs and Relay Harness kit together. Price wise they are much more than DDMs but they also look like quite good quality. At least it鈥檚 good to hear that they have good customer service so I can get in touch if I start running into issues.
What鈥檚 the deal with 2016s having different kind of issues. I read it couple of time in the forum too? But not quite sure what cause it.

Registered
Thank you very much for your comments and suggestion as an alternative Mark, however when I checked I saw the earliest deliver seems around Jan 29th- Feb3rd. I also ordered the XENON DEPOT ones already including all the PWMs and Relay Harness kit together. Price wise they are much more than DDMs but they also look like quite good quality. At least it鈥檚 good to hear that they have good customer service so I can get in touch if I start running into issues.
What鈥檚 the deal with 2016s having different kind of issues. I read it couple of time in the forum too? But not quite sure what cause it.
Yeah not sure what happened with the 2016s. One thing : FCA switched them from 9012 bulbs to 9005 bulbs ealry in the production run and I don't know why they did that, really. 9012 bulbs are 55W high efficiency while 9005s are 65W but less efficient so both have pretty much the same output. Maybe 9005s were cheaper... Or perhaps they did something to the headlight monitoring system, making it more sensitive thus harder to cheat with PWMs/resistors/anti-flickers...

If you did buy from Xenon Depot : you needed to add the optional PWM module for $32... :

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah not sure what happened with the 2016s. One thing : FCA switched them from 9012 bulbs to 9005 bulbs ealry in the production run and I don't know why they did that, really. 9012 bulbs are 55W high efficiency while 9005s are 65W but less efficient so both have pretty much the same output. Maybe 9005s were cheaper... Or perhaps they did something to the headlight monitoring system, making it more sensitive thus harder to cheat with PWMs/resistors/anti-flickers...

If you did buy from Xenon Depot : you needed to add the optional PWM module for $32... :
Yeah I agree. Now I started to realize that. I have added both PWM and relay harness kit to the purchase and I guess that鈥檚 why it鈥檚 a bit pricey (275$) but if that works well, I really want to get it over. And hopefully I can come back to update the recent success story here!

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Hello All,

Thank you very much for everyone鈥檚 input and time to explain. Unfortunately I exhausted all the options I got 2 professional help to get everything checked and all looking correct.So conclusion I still have low beam light error and ones in a while car does not starts properly. Worse one was when I remote start the car and everything shuts down. I couldn鈥檛 even get in the car.
Anyways long story short, I give up. I am getting back to the original bulbs even though I really like the Xenon Depot Lights. They are working and great. But I cannot use the car with risk of jump start ones in a while and have electric issues. I even get battery health checked too.
I didn鈥檛 want to leave the topic open ended and feel like I should let the community know the end of this thread.
Once again thank you very much for your help from the beginning.

Registered
Hello All,

Thank you very much for everyone鈥檚 input and time to explain. Unfortunately I exhausted all the options I got 2 professional help to get everything checked and all looking correct.So conclusion I still have low beam light error and ones in a while car does not starts properly. Worse one was when I remote start the car and everything shuts down. I couldn鈥檛 even get in the car.
Anyways long story short, I give up. I am getting back to the original bulbs even though I really like the Xenon Depot Lights. They are working and great. But I cannot use the car with risk of jump start ones in a while and have electric issues. I even get battery health checked too.
I didn鈥檛 want to leave the topic open ended and feel like I should let the community know the end of this thread.
Once again thank you very much for your help from the beginning.
Huh ? That's terrible... :-/

I don't know what to say, I don't know what might've happened ? You had to tinker quite a bit with the HID kit I understand... But even with all that, you should never have starting issues. I don't get it. Wish I had more tips, but I'm stumped...

Registered
I just posted a thread for this. LEDs for $40 that are working very well.

I have a 2014 Cherokee Limited that came with Halogen lights.
I've been reading all the issues about LED and everyone just going HID.
But HID required quite a bit of work.
A few months back I tried an expensive set of LEDs, they didn't work and I returned them.
A few days ago one halogen blew, and tried for it again.

This time I bought this pair for $40, and they worked out of the box without a decoder. Note: I installed with a decoder figuring I would need it, but it kept erroring that a low beam was out. So I tried it without the extra decoder and it worked.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082KRN5DY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Plug and Play, very bright, have a good pattern with no dead spots, visibility is great.
I was looking at getting a 360 degree one, but so far these are pretty good.

I also have these as my Fog lights. Did this last summer to offset the crappy halogens. Plug and play, very bright.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H6TH1TD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can see again! Very happy with these.

Registered

A few months back I tried an expensive set of LEDs, they didn't work and I returned them.

This time I bought this pair for $40, and they worked out of the box without a decoder. Note: I installed with a decoder figuring I would need it, but it kept erroring that a low beam was out. So I tried it without the extra decoder and it worked.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082KRN5DY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Plug and Play, very bright, have a good pattern with no dead spots, visibility is great.

I also have these as my Fog lights. Did this last summer to offset the crappy halogens. Plug and play, very bright.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H6TH1TD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please post a picture of the beam pattern. It has been proven time and time again that any LED bulb in the factory housing is complete garbage. They may seem brighter, but the usable light where it needs to be is no better but can be worse then factory halogens. So if there is a new one out that can beat the odds we wanna know.

Also HIDs are VERY easy install. I dont know what kind of work you were trying to do with them but a good quality kit is straight up plug and play, and provide the best light output and beam for the 2014-2018.

Premium Member

Your posts lack any information to prove that the LED"s you say you have are any good. Quite honestly you look like a spam account. Post beam patterns pictures or just drop the subject

Registered

Well, it worked great for a little while. After two days, I was sitting at a light and I got the Low Beam Out Error.
Too much heat in the housing and I don't want to break the integrity of the dust cover.
Will be removing and looking at the HID Kits

Registered
Well, it worked great for a little while. After two days, I was sitting at a light and I got the Low Beam Out Error.
Too much heat in the housing and I don't want to break the integrity of the dust cover.
Will be removing and looking at the HID Kits
Live and learn!!!馃槑

Registered
2016 - North - Black/Smoked - MFC 2" lift - TH 17" wheels - 245/70 Cooper AT3s - KN 63 series CAI
I wish I lived in the states you guys have all the best mods at cheap pricing. I want to get the MFC HIDs but its going to end up costing me almost $200 after conversion and shipping, plus I'm sure I'll get slapped with duty fees. Has anyone had any issues with them at all? Might just bite the bullet, tires of these off colored bullshit halogens, how did they even release these things?

Registered
I wish I lived in the states you guys have all the best mods at cheap pricing. I want to get the MFC HIDs but its going to end up costing me almost $200 after conversion and shipping, plus I'm sure I'll get slapped with duty fees. Has anyone had any issues with them at all? Might just bite the bullet, tires of these off colored bullshit halogens, how did they even release these things?
Talk to @Mark_ He's a fellow Canadian, and has great experience with the pre 19 headlight upgrades. I'm pretty sure he can point you in the right direction to find something in Canada...馃槑

Registered
Hi there,

For a 2016, it's a bit trickier, for HID kits. The monitoring system seems more sensitive than previous years, and... there are two different bulbs depending on your build date.

MFC HIDs : last few forum members who got them, had all kinds of issues and tech support was...
Issues included : wrong polarity (reversing is a bit tricky but doable, no clue why they ship them this way...), and at least one other had bulb out errors. There may have been tab trimming required too, I forget.

Other known kits are DDM Tuning (via Amazon mostly) and Xenon Depot, which are more expensive. There are others, I just don't know them at all.

First though, you have to determine if your 2016 has 9012s or 9005s. Quick way to find out : kneel in front of a headlamp (clean lens will help) and check for HIR2 or HB3 etched into the lens (bottom part, mid-outside portion). If HIR2, then you have 9012 bulbs, HB3 is 9005. Chek both sides, some 2016s have been seen with a mismatched set of headlamps.

Registered
2016 - North - Black/Smoked - MFC 2" lift - TH 17" wheels - 245/70 Cooper AT3s - KN 63 series CAI
Hi there,

For a 2016, it's a bit trickier, for HID kits. The monitoring system seems more sensitive than previous years, and... there are two different bulbs depending on your build date.

MFC HIDs : last few forum members who got them, had all kinds of issues and tech support was...
Issues included : wrong polarity (reversing is a bit tricky but doable, no clue why they ship them this way...), and at least one other had bulb out errors. There may have been tab trimming required too, I forget.

Other known kits are DDM Tuning (via Amazon mostly) and Xenon Depot, which are more expensive. There are others, I just don't know them at all.

First though, you have to determine if your 2016 has 9012s or 9005s. Quick way to find out : kneel in front of a headlamp (clean lens will help) and check for HIR2 or HB3 etched into the lens (bottom part, mid-outside portion). If HIR2, then you have 9012 bulbs, HB3 is 9005. Chek both sides, some 2016s have been seen with a mismatched set of headlamps.
Thanks for the tips Mark, I'm definitely going to look into DDM. Any thoughts on if 50w LEDs would work? I've found some the have supercooling fans that use a total 50w between the fan and lamps and I would expect if you can match the power output there shouldn't be any issues. I currently have the 9012 55w. I wouldn't be that surprised if even a 10% loss triggered an error.

The part that I find hard to overcome with HIDs is leaving the dust cover off, or modifying the current dust cover to accommodate the cabling without ruining the integrity of the seal. I can be pretty rough with it (it is a jeep afterall) and don't want to be dealing with hazed up headlights later down the road. I liked that the MFC had grommets to seal your cabling. I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult to come up with a solution to sealing the housing (duct seal would work perfect) however, just want to consider other options before making any irreversible mods like drilling through the dust cover.

Registered
Thanks for the tips Mark, I'm definitely going to look into DDM. Any thoughts on if 50w LEDs would work? I've found some the have supercooling fans that use a total 50w between the fan and lamps and I would expect if you can match the power output there shouldn't be any issues. I currently have the 9012 55w. I wouldn't be that surprised if even a 10% loss triggered an error.

The part that I find hard to overcome with HIDs is leaving the dust cover off, or modifying the current dust cover to accommodate the cabling without ruining the integrity of the seal. I can be pretty rough with it (it is a jeep afterall) and don't want to be dealing with hazed up headlights later down the road. I liked that the MFC had grommets to seal your cabling. I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult to come up with a solution to sealing the housing (duct seal would work perfect) however, just want to consider other options before making any irreversible mods like drilling through the dust cover.
Yeah forget about LEDs. Lots of horror stories on this forum involving bulb out errors but also inefficient/bizarre beam patterns when they do work.

Dust caps : even with a lot of LEDs, you have to tinker there. Most HID kits come with grommets anyway, so drill a 7/8'' hole in the cap, run the wiring through with grommet. Mine was a little loose (I drilled slightly larger than 7/8'') so I ended up sealing with Gorilla tape, very easy.

If you go with DDM Tuning : just remember you need one of their Canbus kits (that's for error cancelling). They usually don't show 9012 as available, but 9006 will fit IIRC with maybe a little tab trimming required.

Dust caps are relatively cheap, if you ever wish to replace the drilled ones at some point..

21 - 37 of 37 Posts