2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello JeepCherokeeClub,

I have been trying to upgrade my 2016 Jeep Cherokee Sports model headlights with LED lights 9005 45W it didn’t work tried a replacement thinking maybe the light is defective didn’t work. Now I am trying the Xenon HID kit still doesn’t work. They are all from XenonDepot and always with Flick Canceller and always the same problem. Passenger side works fine but driver sides does not. Driver side works full when car does not start. When car starts the driver side goes off in 2 seconds. If I switch off and turn on again and another 2 seconds and goes off. Since I tried different lights and always the same I start to wonder if it’s my car. But when I switch to the original bulbs it doesn’t do the same.
Please help. I’m out of options.
I saw the threads but couldn’t find anything specific to issues on driver side.

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Hello JeepCherokeeClub,

I have been trying to upgrade my 2016 Jeep Cherokee Sports model headlights with LED lights 9005 45W it didn’t work tried a replacement thinking maybe the light is defective didn’t work. Now I am trying the Xenon HID kit still doesn’t work. They are all from XenonDepot and always with Flick Canceller and always the same problem. Passenger side works fine but driver sides does not. Driver side works full when car does not start. When car starts the driver side goes off in 2 seconds. If I switch off and turn on again and another 2 seconds and goes off. Since I tried different lights and always the same I start to wonder if it’s my car. But when I switch to the original bulbs it doesn’t do the same.
Hi and welcome :)

"Flick canceller" ? If that is what I think it is, then no, it won't work. You need to order the optional PWM modules with the XenonDepot kit, not the anti-flicker.

And by the way, stay away from LED headlights, even if you get them to work with PWMs or resistors ; their beam pattern and output - in the Cherokee projectors - are not good at all. Go with HIDs (with PWMs).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

"Flick canceller" ? If that is what I think it is, then no, it won't work. You need to order the optional PWM modules with the XenonDepot kit, not the anti-flicker.

And by the way, stay away from LED headlights, even if you get them to work with PWMs or resistors ; their beam pattern and output - in the Cherokee projectors - are not good at all. Go with HIDs (with PWMs).
Hello Mark,

Thank you for the welcome and quick response. I am curious about the PWMs. XenonDepot sell the kit with Flick canceller as an option and I contact with them so many times and never mentions this PWMs. I saw it in the forum first time.
I agree about the LEDs on my Cherokee too I didn’t like much. This new HID with Alpine White and they are beautiful. But I really don’t know why the driver side keep shutting down. But if that’s the solution then I will contact them and get the PWM from them. Can you briefly tell me how they work to eliminate my problem. And I tried with and without the flick canceller. The result is same! Always the driver side turns off when engine is running. If engine is off then I turn the light on then they stay on. Weird.
I really appreciate your time to help.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
647 Posts
With PWM, the factory incandescent lighting is actually pulsed on and off rapidly, instead of having a steady current.
Many cars lower the pulses to decrease intensity for use as DRLs.
LEDs and Xenon ballasts don't like this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With PWM, the factory incandescent lighting is actually pulsed on and off rapidly, instead of having a steady current.
Many cars lower the pulses to decrease intensity for use as DRLs.
LEDs and Xenon ballasts don't like this.
Thank you very much for the info. I’ll contact XenonDepot and check on that. But somehow if they don’t have it do you recommend an alternative source for purchase. I’m sure they should provide that but just to have an option.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
See if this works for you: 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums
This was my solution to the problem: Driving lights
Since you don't have front tow hooks my driving light installation may not work, but you could use the Pilot 4 channel remote or something similar.
Thank you for the response. XenonDepot mentioned the DLR at some point but the problem is it’s. It both lights but rather only the driver lights keep rapidly turning off.

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Thank you very much for the info. I’ll contact XenonDepot and check on that. But somehow if they don’t have it do you recommend an alternative source for purchase. I’m sure they should provide that but just to have an option.
The Xenon Depot PWM modules you need are named PWM XTR (9005/9006).
Just click on the Optional PWM Modules here (2016 kit) : Shopping

Edit : I found a direct link for the PWMs : Shopping

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Me again...

Just had a tought. What if... you already have the PWMs ? It does say anti flicker on them. Reason why I ask is because, on some 2016s, we've seen the problem you describe even with PWMs... Some have had to add resistors to make the HIDs fire consistantly. But this was before XenonDepot was taken over by The Retrofit Source and I have no idea if they've made modifications to correct the problem.

Let me know if you already have them... and we'll take it from there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Xenon Depot PWM modules you need are named PWM XTR (9005/9006).
Just click on the Optional PWM Modules here (2016 kit) : Shopping

Edit : I found a direct link for the PWMs : Shopping
Hey Mark

Thank you for the link. I have checked with them ( By them I’m sorry for the confusion but mine was XENON-PRO but not the XENON-DEPOT) and they said the PWMs are similar as anti-clickers that they offer. They recommend me to use relay harness which the xenon depot website also recommends. So I feel now both in the same direction. What do you think? Here is what they recommend from amazon

https://www.amazon.com/NEX-Harness-9006-9005-Conversion/dp/B01CRVFKZY/ref=trb_chk_auth?dchild=1&keywords=9005+relay+harness&qid=1610293165&sr=8-3&openid.assoc_handle=anywhere_us&openid.claimed_id=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fap%2Fid%2Famzn1.account.AHQAAAZKYMWKVYEF3ZOEVPLH3GHQ&openid.identity=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fap%2Fid%2Famzn1.account.AHQAAAZKYMWKVYEF3ZOEVPLH3GHQ&openid.mode=id_res&openid.ns=http%3A%2F%2Fspecs.openid.net%2Fauth%2F2.0&openid.op_endpoint=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fap%2Fsignin&openid.response_nonce=2021-01-10T16%3A18%3A00Z520972235508288877&openid.return_to=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FNEX-Harness-9006-9005-Conversion%2Fdp%2FB01CRVFKZY%2Fref%3Dtrb_chk_auth%3Fdchild%3D1%26keywords%3D9005%2Brelay%2Bharness%26qid%3D1610293165%26sr%3D8-3%26trb_auth%3D1%26trb_open%3D1%26trb_bid%3Dbuy-now-button&openid.signed=assoc_handle%2Cclaimed_id%2Cidentity%2Cmode%2Cns%2Cop_endpoint%2Cresponse_nonce%2Creturn_to%2Cns.pape%2Cpape.auth_policies%2Cpape.auth_time%2Csigned&openid.ns.pape=http%3A%2F%2Fspecs.openid.net%2Fextensions%2Fpape%2F1.0&openid.pape.auth_policies=http%3A%2F%2Fschemas.openid.net%2Fpape%2Fpolicies%2F2007%2F06%2Fnone&openid.pape.auth_time=2021-01-10T16%3A18%3A00Z&openid.sig=D2sFQNfVYu6zSbDasyGXcrgW0WCN9UykvtzoUnkYc8U%3D&serial=&#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Hey Mark

Thank you for the link. I have checked with them ( By them I’m sorry for the confusion but mine was XENON-PRO but not the XENON-DEPOT) and they said the PWMs are similar as anti-clickers that they offer. They recommend me to use relay harness which the xenon depot website also recommends. So I feel now both in the same direction. What do you think? Here is what they recommend from amazon
Ok... not Xenon Depot.

Well, I have to admit I don't know what to recommend at this point. I'm not familiar with relays or resistors. My setup didn't require relays, but I realize it may be necessary with some 2016s. Just not enough data for me to guide you here.

That relay kit isn't expensive, so... might be worth it to experiment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok... not Xenon Depot.

Well, I have to admit I don't know what to recommend at this point. I'm not familiar with relays or resistors. My setup didn't require relays, but I realize it may be necessary with some 2016s. Just not enough data for me to guide you here.

That relay kit isn't expensive, so... might be worth it to experiment.
Thank you Mark for your honest response and your time to respond and help. I will give it a try and update people here.

·
Registered
2016 Latitude North 3.2 v6
7 Posts

Agreed, I went with LED's, they are better than stock but with the projectors the beam pattern is pointing all over the place. I aligned horizontally and also made sure the LED was straight Up and down, better but I do think the HIDs with the PWMs would be the best option.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thank you all for trying to resolve, but my problem still exist 😒

I have purchased an Relay Harness and connected directly from the battery but now I don’t have any light at all. Can somebody share a diagram that include relay harness with HiD setup and Anti-flicker (PWM).
Problem is relay harness was buzzing without anti-flicker then I connect the anti-flicker and it stopped. I can hear a click when I turn on the light but no light at all.
I only connected the driver side to check first since it was the problem but does it make difference to connect the both to complete circuit ?

please recommend me a solution. I’ve been dealing with a supposedly simple light upgrade for 4-5 weeks already. I purchased O-NEX relay harness and it has separate resistor that I have seen in some diagrams and videos but Xenon Pro said Anti-flicker also kind of works the same way so I-don’t need.
Hope I can find a solution so this issue finally resolved.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
thank you all for trying to resolve, but my problem still exist 😒

I have purchased an Relay Harness and connected directly from the battery but now I don’t have any light at all. Can somebody share a diagram that include relay harness with HiD setup and Anti-flicker (PWM).
Problem is relay harness was buzzing without anti-flicker then I connect the anti-flicker and it stopped. I can hear a click when I turn on the light but no light at all.
I only connected the driver side to check first since it was the problem but does it make difference to connect the both to complete circuit ?

please recommend me a solution. I’ve been dealing with a supposedly simple light upgrade for 4-5 weeks already. I purchased O-NEX relay harness and it has separate resistor that I have seen in some diagrams and videos but Xenon Pro said Anti-flicker also kind of works the same way so I-don’t need.
Hope I can find a solution so this issue finally resolved.
It might be time to bite the bullet, and let the professionals fix it...😎

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello JeepCherokeeClub,

Almost same deal with mine. I tried to install Led lights with resisters and passenger side worked perfect but drivers was cutting out after start up.
To be honest i gave up and just put in some silver star halogens. I do intend to carry on this battle come spring summer. 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.
My bulbs are 9012( I know its like trying to find candles from the 1800 s lol). If i come across anything ill definitely let you know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Almost same deal with mine. I tried to install Led lights with resisters and passenger side worked perfect but drivers was cutting out after start up.
To be honest i gave up and just put in some silver star halogens. I do intend to carry on this battle come spring summer. 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.
My bulbs are 9012( I know its like trying to find candles from the 1800 s lol). If i come across anything ill definitely let you know.
👍🙏 I would appreciate that

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I contacted the Xenon Pro to double check and go through all my connections with Relay Harness and Anti flicker. It looks like the all connections were correct and they told me that their HID is not compatible with my vehicle. 😵😵😵 wow all the time wasted.
But now I had some experience and with the information I have gathered from you I wanted to go with XENON DEPOT HID KIT. It is more costly then the xenon pro kit I have purchase but looks much higher quality and hopefully fuss free.
I will keep posted here when I got them installed. Anyone got any PROMO code from them or is it normal to get price around 275$ without tax.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts