2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just took my Trailhawk (130,000+ miles) to the dealer for an oil change, and during inspection, they discovered some play, fore and aft, in the drive shaft. I saw them move it by hand, about 1/2"-1" while producing a slight noise. I don't notice any noise while driving, though I am hearing impaired, and not able to catch everything. I have, on occasion, noticed what in my experience with previous vehicles has turned out to be bad wheel bearing noise, but not so much that I even thought to mention it while in for routine maintenance. I've read that the need for drive shaft carrier bearings can make a sound similar to wheel bearings, so that jives. I guess I was just hoping to get some clarification from others here that the play the technician showed me is not normal. A friend of mine suggested that there might need to be some play front to back, if not just for installation purposes, and that the tech might be showing me this just to pad service numbers. The drive shaft part is at least $1000, not to mention labor.

Also, any idea how much I should expect to pay for a new oil cooler? Thank you in advance for any input.

Edited to add: 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

Tara

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,042 Posts
I also have a 2015 Trailhawk, but I have not ever tried to find any play on the drive shaft, so I can't help you there, although I'm certain that there are others here who have more experience with this, so they can likely help you out.

I didn't see where you stated the oil cooler issue, but the part - and I assume you have the 3.2L - you didn't mention which, would be the Engine Oil Filter Housing - Mopar (68105583AG) for $213.90 at Mopar.com. Labor is obviously in addition, but I haven't changed one (and I have the 2.4L), so I can't help you with that number.

For the price tag you mentioned, I would definitely get another opinion.

Good luck.

Reactions: Talegi

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also have a 2015 Trailhawk, but I have not ever tried to find any play on the drive shaft, so I can't help you there, although I'm certain that there are others here who have more experience with this, so they can likely help you out...Good luck.
Sorry, I have the V6, edited just now to add that. Thank you for your input. I am going to get them to break down all the pricing before the work begins, and if it's as high as they were suggesting prior to ordering parts, I will go elsewhere.

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,042 Posts
I think it comes down to is the work absolutely essential? Just a suggestion, but I would find that out before anything else. Someone knows everything you need to know on that drive shaft, so you have to find them.

The pricing on the part is also less than what the dealer would charge you as well. Remember, the dealer charges more for the parts and the labor and now sometimes that's warranted, but I don't think it's a given in all cases. This may be one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your reply. I had the work done yesterday, and so far, there is no oil leak and the sound of wheel bearing noise is no longer prevalent. I believe the replacement of the drive shaft actually solved a long-suffered issue of the vehicle rolling too far after being put into park from drive; and the time it would take to make a 3-point turn, due to having to wait for the vehicle to stop rolling forward or back in between shifts.

Tara

1 - 5 of 5 Posts