2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I’m getting frustrated after having my oil & tire rotation done at my Wonderful dealership in Glenview. Now , just 13 days after that oil change find leaks all over driveway, which I didn’t notice because of a ton of ginkgo leaves have fallen on driveway. Went to dealership and they now estimate $1300. For oil cooler. I’ve never had a oil leak And my car is about 68k miles. Ive only used Dealership to do Mopar oil/ rotations…and done when recommended.
can anyone tell me if this is part of power train warranty or any other warranty. I do not have extended warranty. I have read that 2014 part was replaced with updated one.
JEEP CARES can you help me? Please!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Just normal wear and tear, replace the spark plugs at the same time and "call it a day".
Surprised it lasted this long.
Search this Forum, this is a normal problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dorman just came out with a metal one I'm planning on swapping in before this happens. About to roll 49k on my 2016. Think its around $150. Worth the piece of mind to not have to deal with an oil leak.

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
12,017 Posts
Well I’m getting frustrated after having my oil & tire rotation done at my Wonderful dealership in Glenview. Now , just 13 days after that oil change find leaks all over driveway, which I didn’t notice because of a ton of ginkgo leaves have fallen on driveway. Went to dealership and they now estimate $1300. For oil cooler. I’ve never had a oil leak And my car is about 68k miles. Ive only used Dealership to do Mopar oil/ rotations…and done when recommended.
can anyone tell me if this is part of power train warranty or any other warranty. I do not have extended warranty. I have read that 2014 part was replaced with updated one.
JEEP CARES can you help me? Please!
Hi, If you know any other good shops in your area, maybe ask for a second opinion (another estimate). Yeah these plastic coolers are garbage, they break easily. Known issue on this engine (you have the V6, right ?)and also all the 3.6L engines found in many-many Chrsyler/Jeep products.

As @Goaliemo says, there is now an aftermarket aluminum cooler available, from Dorman. If interested, let us know and we'll provide more info. And as @sanghill says, if you haven't had the spark plugs changed yet, have them done at the same time as the oil cooler ans perhaps you'll save a bit of money (if your mechanic considers time saved getting to the plugs because intake manifold already removed for the cooler..).

·
Registered
12,017 Posts

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I'm sure a lot of qualified mechanics in smaller shops can do this for much less... much-much less...
Definitely it's possible to save a bit.

I paid $1,075.65 at my independent shop when I had mine replaced. It's definitely possible to find shops with a lower hourly rate, but these guys do good work and I'm OK paying a little more for quality work and a good experience. If the shop allows you to procure your own parts you can likely save a good chunk too.

My bill broke down this way:
Labor, diagnose coolant use (I had no visual oil leaking): $156
Parts, including a new coolant hose (preventive maintenance): $513
Labor, actual repair: $396
Shop supplies: $10.65

Given the OP already has diagnosed the problem it should definitely be possible to find a place that will do quality work and still come in well below $1000.

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
14 ,16,and a 19 limited KL all 3.2l
158 Posts
the procedure isn't really hard.there's videos on how to do it. I watched them waiting for the backordered part.to be delivered. I did use a mopar part

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just plan on doing it myself. I'm an apprentice at Toyota though, so I somewhat have an idea of what's going on 😂

·
Registered
14 ,16,and a 19 limited KL all 3.2l
158 Posts
Goaliemo watch this YT video. he explains the pros and cons of the aluminum one .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAo99Md85hE

·
Registered
7 Posts
I replaced tons of these under warranty. I don’t think it’s over tightening the oil filter that causes this. It never happened on the 11-13 housings. Just the 14 and later ones that leaked all over the bell housing. Just a design flaw

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doorman replacement Did not work, leaking still. Can't get OEM part.
Mechanic tried with o-rings came with it, leaked within a few days, redid it with oem rings, leaking again after few days.
8years no problem then this headache.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts