2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I’m about to buy a 2014 Cherokee Latitude 4Wd (3.2V6 with the 9 speed) I have read and understand the trans issues that were prevalent in these models, but it’s had all its recalls addressed up to this point as well as had an inspection at the dealer, I test drove it and it shifted wonderfully compared to my 2004 Grand Cherokee(4.0 I6)with 203,000 which slams into gear quite often, I felt no concerning transmission operation. My question is that it has 114,782 miles and was wondering if it worth it for me to buy it and if anyone still owns these Cherokees in 2020, any assistance is helpful!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
That's very high mileage. I might pay somebody $1K for it tops. If you don't drive off road I wouldn't even consider a Jeep.
Get a CARFAX (r) report and make sure it hasn't been wrecked or have any other serious issues.
Would expect a lot of maintenance costs: struts, brakes, exhaust, computers, battery, ball joints, drive shaft, etc.
If you pay a dealer to do maintenance it will cost a lot. If you can do major repairs yourself and have the tools it may be worth it.
My 2014 V6 TH is doing just fine at 93K miles. I'll probably drive it until something expensive breaks and dump it.
I go off road regularly so it is pretty beat up.
As you can tell I am not enamored about FCA products.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Hi there,

That is a difficult question to answer. Many still have their 2014s here, some have been virtually trouble-free. Not all though, and be ready for all kinds of stories (true stories). Difficult to make a decision based on anecdotes though.

If the transmission seems smooth, that is a good sign.

Other things to consider here : 100+K miles, the spark plugs were due at 100K, so make sure they were done (they are difficult to reach, intake manifold has to come off). Also at 100K, it is recommended to replace the serpentine belt (not an easy job either). Engine coolant is Ok for 150K miles I think, tranny and diff fluids are Ok for life.

I can't say much more than that... other than the Cherokees are no models of reliability (no Jeep is).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's very high mileage. I might pay somebody $1K for it tops. If you don't drive off road I wouldn't even consider a Jeep.
Get a CARFAX (r) report and make sure it hasn't been wrecked or have any other serious issues.
Would expect a lot of maintenance costs: struts, brakes, exhaust, computers, battery, ball joints, drive shaft, etc.
If you pay a dealer to do maintenance it will cost a lot. If you can do major repairs yourself and have the tools it may be worth it.
My 2014 V6 TH is doing just fine at 93K miles. I'll probably drive it until something expensive breaks and dump it.
I will ask about spark plugs amoung other things today I don’t off-road but I like Jeep’s for the winter, I know some can last and it has the maintenance records and inspection to back it up that it has been, carfax is clean of everything too. I’m paying 10,500 for it as it’s my first big vehicle purchase. The shifting is fine from what I saw and drove no stutters and it’s had both trans recalls done to it most recent one in 2019.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there,

That is a difficult question to answer. Many still have their 2014s here, some have been virtually trouble-free. Not all though, and be ready for all kinds of stories (true stories). Difficult to make a decision based on anecdotes though.

If the transmission seems smooth, that is a good sign.

Other things to consider here : 100+K miles, the spark plugs were due at 100K, so make sure they were done (they are difficult to reach, intake manifold has to come off). Also at 100K, it is recommended to replace the serpentine belt (not an easy job either). Engine coolant is Ok for 150K miles I think, tranny and diff fluids are Ok for life.

I can't say much more than that... other than the Cherokees are no models of reliability (no Jeep is).
Yeah my 04 Wj is starting to show signs of wear on the transmission mainly, stuttering etc, from what I experienced with the test drive the trans shifts perfect back and forward along with turning and it’s had both trans recalls done to it most recent in 2019, compared to a 2011 grand Cherokee my friend just bought with 140,000 miles I thought this would be solid I’m looking for it to last me 200,000 at least, it’s been inspected as well as maintained including oil changes and it’s not been beat up engine sounds great accelerating no weird noise or hesitation. I know I am taking a chance but I feel that the odds are on my side with this one due to the credentials behind it. I was going to have it inspected at the dealer I work at it as well. I’m hoping for the best

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to be spamming but I wanted to say I appreciate you both replying :) and as for the tools to do it myself, the only time I’ve had to bring my jeep into a dealer was for the takata airbag, I’ve been able to do most everything else myself granted I’ve never worked with a vehicle this new before so I’ll have to learn.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
You will probably need a paper Hayne's manual or I think Chilton's is on line.
Helps you make sure you have all the parts you need before you start tearing it apart.
There are one time use bolts. I think you are ready to go for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will probably need a paper Hayne's manual or I think Chilton's is on line.
Helps you make sure you have all the parts you need before you start tearing it apart.
There are one time use bolts. I think you are ready to go for it.
Well thank you! I’ll be sure to keep the forum informed of how it goes for me😂 I’m hoping for the best due to all that’s about it. I appreciate your help!

·
Registered
187 Posts
@The_black_KL One thing no one mentioned that I saw is since it has the V6 it does have a oil cooler filter housing that is mounted in the Vee of the engine. They are plastic and are prone to cracking and leaking I have replaced 2 of them on my 2014 V6. Its more so a problem when they are overtightened during an oil filter change. I would advise removing the engine 3.2 beauty cover (just pops off) and shining a bright flashlight down where that filter housing is and look for any oil puddling in the vee of the engine. That vee can hold a few quarts of oil before you would ever see it leak down below. So looking under the Jeep is not a sure sign its not cracked or leaking. Look above for sure. The part is about $250 but the labor is whats expensive if you don't diy it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@The_black_KL One thing no one mentioned that I saw is since it has the V6 it does have a oil cooler filter housing that is mounted in the Vee of the engine. They are plastic and are prone to cracking and leaking I have replaced 2 of them on my 2014 V6. Its more so a problem when they are overtightened during an oil filter change. I would advise removing the engine 3.2 beauty cover (just pops off) and shining a bright flashlight down where that filter housing is and look for any oil puddling in the vee of the engine. That vee can hold a few quarts of oil before you would ever see it leak down below. So looking under the Jeep is not a sure sign its not cracked or leaking. Look above for sure. The part is about $250 but the labor is whats expensive if you don't diy it.
I will be sure to look at it when I can I didn’t even know that was a thing if I’m honest. Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Honestly the price seems high for the year and miles. I just paid 18k for my 2017 Latitude North edition with 38k on it.
Honestly the price seems high for the year and miles. I just paid 18k for my 2017 Latitude North edition with 38k on it.
from what I did on KBB as well as other Jeep’s like this around my area it’s a lower priced one it was original 11K but I was able to talk them down a bit. I didn’t know it was high priced I’d have tried to get them down more 😉

·
Registered
40 Posts
from what I did on KBB as well as other Jeep’s like this around my area it’s a lower priced one it was original 11K but I was able to talk them down a bit. I didn’t know it was high priced I’d have tried to get them down more 😉
Maybe that’s the KBB price but I feel kind you could get a lot more Jeep for not a lot more money if you shop around. Not sure what your budget is. I bought mine from Carvana and it was pretty seamless.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I feel the op got a pretty fair deal. Here in Atlanta I see very few under 12k unless they are base sports 4cyl and fwd. With the V6 and 4wd they easily fetch 13-16k depending on options and condition. Even if the op has to put a couple thousand in routine maintenance so long as the Jeep is clean and sound overall he will come out ahead. Even though I am not a huge fan of the pentastar (seem cheaply made lots of plastic). They do typically run 200k miles with proper care. So long as leaks etc are addressed as they arise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I feel the op got a pretty fair deal. Here in Atlanta I see very few under 12k unless they are base sports 4cyl and fwd. With the V6 and 4wd they easily fetch 13-16k depending on options and condition. Even if the op has to put a couple thousand in routine maintenance so long as the Jeep is clean and sound overall he will come out ahead. Even though I am not a huge fan of the pentastar (seem cheaply made lots of plastic). They do typically run 200k miles with proper care. So long as leaks etc are addressed as they arise.
Maybe it’s just me but I have a hard time paying 10k for a Jeep with over 100k miles on it. To each there own. Just to give an idea of what I mean here’s a 19 for 8 grand more and half the miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
True but with taxes etc that is a 20k Jeep. Roughly double the cost. Which means if getting a loan its twice the monthly payment roughly. Personally I rather have a older vehicle with higher miles than a huge loan to pay down. My 2014 KL was 20k back in 2016 with 48k miles and a one owner vehicle as well. But I have had tons of warranty and non warranty repairs. That loan was a bear to get payed off as well. If I had to do over today I would get one with higher miles and less money. Higher miles means the previous owner had to do the repairs if the vehicle is well kept in good shape.

Before the KL I had a 2001 Grand Cherokee that had 70k miles when I got it. Ran it till 200k miles with little issue. The previous owner though had to replace the whole hvac system due to blend door failures though easily 2k worth of repairs and sold it off after that. I lucked out cause all that was fixed and smooth sailing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk with 108K on it and it drives fantastic nothing wrong with it at all. Don't listen to that fool who said it's only worth $1K!! I paid $11,800 for it in December and I have put it to every test you can imagine.. Buy it!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm very happy with my 2014 Latitude 3.2 AD1. I bought it a year ago. I had 1he 100,000 mile service done at the dealer. I had to have rear hubs and a radiator. Battery crapped out Saturday. I replaced it with a gel battery. I have about an 80 mile round trip commute five days a week. I'm over 114,00 miles and very happy with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I picked up a 2014 Latitude 4wd this last Spring with 66k on it, loving it so far. I mostly stick to the city, but living in Denver I kinda wish I had opted for the V6; it strained just a little bit getting up to Breckenridge last week. I had to get the battery replaced shortly after getting it (because Carvana is lazy, but they did pay for it), but otherwise it has been a pleasure. I owned a couple of XJ Jeeps when I was younger and loved them to death. They really aren't the same vehicle any more, but they have gotten a lot more comfortable at a time in my life where I am starting to appreciate comfort a little more. Honestly that transmission seems smooth as silk if you drive it nicely. It only seems to get cranky when you get too demanding. A lot of vehicles are like that these days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts