2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked through posts but was not able to find anything related. I have an intermittent issue with my 2014 Trailhawk and its been to two different service dealers. Going down road will see rough idle, tachometer jumps around and then flash on the screen that states "SHIFT TO P THEN DESIRED GEAR" r (even know I am driving down the road IN GEAR)- also at stops. (have video can not attach). It appears the vehicle thinks that the engine has died, but it has not> I just have no ability to use the gas.

No check engine light and no codes, dealers have not been able to duplicate and said no codes when they hook it up. I opened a case with Chrysler (vehicle out of warranty) to see if they could give the service dealer more tips (dealers seem to only be able to diagnose issues if they come up on their screen/computer. No thinking outside the box for them. Chrysler has given them, what they tell me is a dozen things to check. Have not picked car up yet.

Noticed it happening right after the spark plugs were replaced. Not sure if this is coincidental or not, but shared this information with both service dealers

(Had transmission replaced 60K miles ago,
Would love to hear if someone else has experienced this issue. Spoke to an audi guy and he said this happened to his car and it was the wiring harness under the shifter.

Thanks for feedback

Attachments

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
This commentary only applies if you have the V6 engine:
Changing spark plugs could cause problems if not done correctly.
There are lots of ways to mess this one up.
The coolant must drained. Then bleed the air out of system when refilled with coolant.
Intake manifold, both of them, need new seals.
Need to blow the dirt out from the spark plug well.
Need to replace the spark plugs and torque them correctly and not break the insulators.
My dealer replaced my spark plugs recently and every thing works fine.
etc,ect,etc.........
Since there is no witness as to what was done I think the dealer should try again.
My usual "easter egg" tip is to check the battery HEALTH and battery cable connections.
The CAN buses go crazy when the battery is not working well.

PM one of the Jeep Cares folks on this site and ask for assistance.

I have a 2014 V6 TH also so if there is an issue I want know what it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Mine is a V6. So far Chrysler is having them check electrical connections in multiple locations. They are not reporting that they have found any issues, but they can not duplicate the issue. Battery was replaced about a year ago.
I would think they should have checked the spark plugs since I told them it was the next day that this started happening after spark plugs. Should I just tell them to replace them? Possibly a bad plug or wire, We run a service business for HVAC, we do get bad parts from the factory from time to time.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
First I need to correct the errors in my post:
The coolant does not need to be drained.

There are no spark plug wires. The coil pack sits on the spark plug.
Check your receipt for the spark plug replacement.
There should be a parts and labor Warranty for some amount of time and/or mileage.
Do they list the correct part number for the spark plugs, and do they list intake manifold gaskets?
Should be 6 gaskets PN 5184562-AC
My dealer charged me $576.19 plus whatever they charged you for spark plugs.
It cost me $57.52 for 8 Champion iridium plugs. (4 in a box).
Dealer cost will be higher.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was for spark plugs and labor to replace $235.00 Manifold gaskets were not replaced. The spark plugs do not sit on a coil pack in my jeep. Picking up Jeep today after 12 days. They say no resolve. Can not duplicate. Back to the drawing board. Will drive again, it will happen again, then not sure what I should do. Have had it at 2 dealers neither can duplicate. Maybe it will get worse and finally throw a code... (SMH)

thanks

·
Registered
883 Posts
Besides the Battery, I would also check the Engine grounds on the forward side of the block. They would have been removed in the Trans swap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, but my tranny was swapped out more than 50K miles ago, and have not had this problem until recently. Possible bad battery? but replaced a year ago and no issues until recently. Just seems to me that the spark plugs (mis firing occasionally and or battery) would be the first thing I would lean towards. I am not a mechanic but these mechanics don't seem to troubleshoot anything or try anything new until their "code detector" tells them too. Thank you. if I ever find out what the issue was, I will let you know

·
Registered
727 Posts
Just because the battery was replaced “about a year ago” doesn’t mean it is okay. At the least have it load tested.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, good point and I am glad you brought it up. I will def look at it. Thank you

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The dealer can probably skimp on not replacing the intake manifold gaskets but my rule is always replace gaskets and seals.
In this case I am concerned about a vacuum leak, this can wreak havoc on the emissions system, but should give a code.
Having the spark plugs replaced for only $235 concerns me, what did they not do?
I am anxiously waiting for the results of your test drive.
When I get dealer work done I have the Service Adviser print the VIP Report and review it with me.
Specifically check for outstanding Recalls.
Ask if there are any TSB's applicable to your vehicle.
Have the Service Adviser check for codes, you can have a code and not have the check engine light come on.
Also, check for "history codes".
FCA has changed their rules and no longer connect the scan tool for free.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello
So no codes, no check engine lights. I have done a test drive with two different service dealers and 5 technicians. Will not duplicate while they are in the car. Lead transmission tech drove it home approx 45 miles for three nights with his computer hooked up to it, and will not produce any codes. No TSB's outstanding, no recalls outstanding and all the software has been updated. The "scan tool" not sure what that is, but computer was hooked up to my car while being driven and produced nothing.

Service dealer that installed new tranny did manifold gaskets. That was 50K miles ago with no issues since recently.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Sounds great, not bad for only being in the Club 1 day.
Now you can take it off road and have fun.

·
FCA Customer Support Group
1,310 Posts
Hello
So no codes, no check engine lights. I have done a test drive with two different service dealers and 5 technicians. Will not duplicate while they are in the car. Lead transmission tech drove it home approx 45 miles for three nights with his computer hooked up to it, and will not produce any codes. No TSB's outstanding, no recalls outstanding and all the software has been updated. The "scan tool" not sure what that is, but computer was hooked up to my car while being driven and produced nothing.

Service dealer that installed new tranny did manifold gaskets. That was 50K miles ago with no issues since recently.
We definitely understand the difficulty involved in diagnosing an intermittent concern, Cbrown. If you would like any assistance from our team, we are happy to help. Just send us a private message to start.

Kate
JeepCares

·
Registered
1 Posts
I looked through posts but was not able to find anything related. I have an intermittent issue with my 2014 Trailhawk and its been to two different service dealers. Going down road will see rough idle, tachometer jumps around and then flash on the screen that states "SHIFT TO P THEN DESIRED GEAR" r (even know I am driving down the road IN GEAR)- also at stops. (have video can not attach). It appears the vehicle thinks that the engine has died, but it has not> I just have no ability to use the gas.

No check engine light and no codes, dealers have not been able to duplicate and said no codes when they hook it up. I opened a case with Chrysler (vehicle out of warranty) to see if they could give the service dealer more tips (dealers seem to only be able to diagnose issues if they come up on their screen/computer. No thinking outside the box for them. Chrysler has given them, what they tell me is a dozen things to check. Have not picked car up yet.

Noticed it happening right after the spark plugs were replaced. Not sure if this is coincidental or not, but shared this information with both service dealers

(Had transmission replaced 60K miles ago,
Would love to hear if someone else has experienced this issue. Spoke to an audi guy and he said this happened to his car and it was the wiring harness under the shifter.

Thanks for feedback
This used to happen to me on my 2014 Compass after filling tank.. it had a crack apparently. The dealership fixed it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm experiencing the same issue. I've only noticed it happens after refueling. No codes or light turn on so dealership hasn't been able to help. Purchased my 2014 Trailhawk a few months back with no issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts