2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I drove to the post office today and turned the Jeep off and came back 15 mins later and the Jeep wouldn't start. My friend came and jumped me and it started but all the dials on the display were flashing randomly and engine sounded sort of like it was "missing". I made it home ok but it didn't feel the same as I drove it. I got home and shut it off and it won't start again. So I think my battery is completely dead. So much so that it seemed to be trying to conserve its electrical power by disabling some features. I'm hoping that's what it is anyway!

I'll have my friend jump me again tomorrow morning and drive it to a repair shop that is close by. I'll ask him to test the alternator also.

One more thing: I heard a "clicking" sound just under the steering wheel. I looked down there and saw a black "box" with a yellow flashing light timed to the "click". What is that?

Have any of you experienced this? Would a 100% dead battery cause these symptoms?

Thank you!!!

David

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,285 Posts
Hi all,

I drove to the post office today and turned the Jeep off and came back 15 mins later and the Jeep wouldn't start. My friend came and jumped me and it started but all the dials on the display were flashing randomly and engine sounded sort of like it was "missing". I made it home ok but it didn't feel the same as I drove it. I got home and shut it off and it won't start again. So I think my battery is completely dead. So much so that it seemed to be trying to conserve its electrical power by disabling some features. I'm hoping that's what it is anyway!

I'll have my friend jump me again tomorrow morning and drive it to a repair shop that is close by. I'll ask him to test the alternator also.

One more thing: I heard a "clicking" sound just under the steering wheel. I looked down there and saw a black "box" with a yellow flashing light timed to the "click". What is that?

Have any of you experienced this? Would a 100% dead battery cause these symptoms?

Thank you!!!

David
The box with the flashing light seems aftermarket, perhaps some relay driven switch.
The Cherokee does have battery saving technology.
A 100% dead battery wouldn't even take a jump. Probably a dead cell or 2. You don't have ESS but you may still want to look into the X2 Power/Northstar battery as a replacement.
Have the battery and charging system checked, don't know how old the battery is, but, if the original, you got a good life out of it. Modern cars battery systems don't typically have a slow death, they are rather sudden, once it drops below a certain level, the computers will keep minimal functions going, but at the end, they will just stop the vehicle to avoid a disastrous failure during driving..

Good luck!

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
Hi all,

Thank you!!!

David
Hey David,

Yeah, 99% sure it's the battery. 2014s don't warn us like 2015+s do with ESS errors (you don't have ESS). Had you pushed your luck, you could've found yourself stalled in traffic with a completely dead battery.

I believe you have the V6 so your original battery is a group 94R wet (regular) battery, aka group H7. They sell for roughly $150 (Walmart). If you'd like a more robust battery, you could go for a $180-ish AGM 94R/H7 instead.

Not sure what that thing is under the dash. Pic ?

Keep us posted :)

Edit : @AtlCade69 beat me to it :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The box with the flashing light seems aftermarket, perhaps some relay driven switch.
The Cherokee does have battery saving technology.
A 100% dead battery wouldn't even take a jump. Probably a dead cell or 2. You don't have ESS but you may still want to look into the X2 Power/Northstar battery as a replacement.
Have the battery and charging system checked, don't know how old the battery is, but, if the original, you got a good life out of it. Modern cars battery systems don't typically have a slow death, they are rather sudden, once it drops below a certain level, the computers will keep minimal functions going, but at the end, they will just stop the vehicle to avoid a disastrous failure during driving..

Good luck!
Thank you! The box under the steering wheel isn’t an after market item. I’ll photograph it and post it here.
I AM fortunate my Jeep didn’t konk out in traffic or some remote place!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE: My friend came by this morning to jump my Jeep so I could take it in and it started but as soon as he removed the jumper cables it stopped. We tried this a few times and left my car running for awhile. As long as I kept my foot on the accelerator pedal it stayed running. As soon as I let it off it stopped. In the old days once the car was running after being jumped it would run at least until I drove to get it serviced. At this point I will need to have it towed to a Jeep place and get service. I have a lifetime warranty so that's a bit of good news.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,573 Posts
In the old days once the car was running after being jumped it would run at least until I drove to get it serviced.
These aren't Grandpas old CJ...😎

·
Registered
804 Posts
I do not think your warranty will cover the battery. You might be better off removing your old one and installing a new high quality AMG (X2 is best) otherwise you will pay the same price for the dealer one…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tow truck came... I hope it's just a battery! Engine light came on when I jumped it this time. Jeep can't get to it until Fri so I have to rent a car. Oh well.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
That's going to be an expensive battery...😎

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,285 Posts

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
Yes, I bought this Jeep new in 2014 and have had nothing installed at all. It is a Trailhawk so maybe the box is a Trailhawk thing?
I'd have to stick my head in there on mine, at night, to compare. Ambient light maybe ?

·
Registered
765 Posts

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I can't tell what the box is, but I got a hundred dollar bill on just the battery...😎

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If that is the original battery in your Jeep there is a 99.99999 percent chance that your battery is bad. ;)
Haha! It’s my second battery. I just got a call and the mechanic said the alternator seems fine and it looks to be the battery. I’ll know more tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts