2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! So I just purchased a used 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk from a local Honda dealership. They are telling me that only a hard metal key comes with the Jeep and that they didn't come standard with remote door locks. Sounds strange so I did some digging and found that the car actually has a remote starter as well. So after we made the deal they said they would pay for a new key from Jeep. As I was driving home and backing into my garage the back up camera never came on. I got out and looked and there is no camera on the back of the vehicle. All the paperwork from the dealer states that it comes with a back up camera. I called and told them that there wasn't a backup camera and they said to bring it in and they will have there service techs look at it. Just got back from the dealer and they said that there isn't a back up camera installed and if i want one I will have to pay for it (they said they have a third party do the paperwork that states it has a backup camera). Should I push them on installing a back up camera since all the paperwork states that is has one? I already had to fight with them to agree to purchase a new key with the push buttons on it for the remote start, panic, and lock buttons. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Welcome to the Club.
Installing a Jeep backup camera is probably very difficult. Maybe you could get an aftermarket backup camera instead.
Sure hope you bought a V6.
Make sure all Recalls are complete. You can check on jeep.com

·
Registered
232 Posts
Jeep dealers charge around $300 for a programed key fob, Nice to have 2 just in case you lose one. good luck

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sounds to me like they may be taking you for a ride. I'm not sure about the older models, but the newer (2017+) Trailhawks I know are reasonably well equipped from the factory. I've not seen one that doesn't have a backup camera or remote keyless entry.

Go here and look up the windows sticker by your VIN. Window Sticker Lookup by VIN

That's what the vehicle came from the factory with, not necessarily what it was sold to you with. If there are no keyless fobs with it, they've been lost or unrecovered somewhere along the way (if it was a former repossession). If there are lots of things that don't jive, I'd see if I could back out of the deal.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Welcome to the Club.
Installing a Jeep backup camera is probably very difficult. Maybe you could get an aftermarket backup camera instead.
Sure hope you bought a V6.
Make sure all Recalls are complete. You can check on jeep.com
Installing an OEM or an aftermarket camera is more or less the same work. Install camera, pull wires. Though arguably there's fewer wires to pull with the OEM, and you don't have to splice anything into the uConnect connector. Both have to be enabled in uConnect after they're installed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They weren’t forthcoming with you from the start. Don’t accept excuses. Get out if the deal. You should have do many days in right of recision.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Something sounds fishy about this one. I bought a 2014 Trailhawk new back in 2013 and owned if for 6.5 years (just traded in for a 2020). I checked the window sticker from my 2014 just now and keyless entry was a standard feature on the Trailhawk, so you should definitely have a key fob (technically the car came with two).

The back-up camera must not have been required by law yet in the 2014 model year, as it was part of the comfort/convenience package. If the vehicle has this package, it would also have a power liftgate, passive entry/keyless ignition, remote start, power drivers seat, etc. If this vehicle doesn't have those features, then it doesn't have the comfort/convenience package and likely no back-up camera. The backup camera was plainly visible in the middle of the lift gate a few inches below the "Jeep" badge if so equipped.

All that being said, you don't want a 2014 Cherokee, especially not one with high mileage. You're asking for transmission and rear differential issues, which usually require replacement of those components and are very expensive repairs (I was quoted $8k to replace my transmission and rear diff). If you want a used Trailhawk, look 2016 or newer. I personally would never own one out of warranty again, hence the reason that I bought a 7 year/100k mile Max Care warranty for my new one.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Cherokee Trailhawk. Very comfortable, capable, good looking and nice driving vehicle. Just be careful, they can come back to bite you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey! So I just purchased a used 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk from a local Honda dealership. They are telling me that only a hard metal key comes with the Jeep and that they didn't come standard with remote door locks. Sounds strange so I did some digging and found that the car actually has a remote starter as well. So after we made the deal they said they would pay for a new key from Jeep. As I was driving home and backing into my garage the back up camera never came on. I got out and looked and there is no camera on the back of the vehicle. All the paperwork from the dealer states that it comes with a back up camera. I called and told them that there wasn't a backup camera and they said to bring it in and they will have there service techs look at it. Just got back from the dealer and they said that there isn't a back up camera installed and if i want one I will have to pay for it (they said they have a third party do the paperwork that states it has a backup camera). Should I push them on installing a back up camera since all the paperwork states that is has one? I already had to fight with them to agree to purchase a new key with the push buttons on it for the remote start, panic, and lock buttons. Thanks!
If you have in writing The dealership should make good, Myself , I would take It back and start looking for another TrailHawk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts