2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2014 jeep Cherokee trailhawk with 120,000 miles on it. Recently I went to take my jeep in because I'm no longer able to put my jeep into 4WLOW . Turns out I need a new PTU due to bolts backing out/ missing on it. I took my jeep in for the w47 recall. Sadly my jeep isn't under warranty is there anything else I can do to get the dealership to help me get this part repaired due to the history of these PTU failing?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Sometimes they will do a "good will" repair. Lots of luck on that happening.
Unless you spend thousands at your Service Department like I do.
At 120k you probably need lots of work done: shocks, struts, brakes, exhaust, RDM (has the oil ever been topped up?), battery, tires, suspension bushings, etc, etc, etc.
Time to figure out if you want to drive it forever (no matter the cost) or be looking for something else.
I have a 2014 TH and personally I think you should spend whatever it takes to keep it running.
Motor vehicles are Black Hole money pits, I have 60 years of experience to prove it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i am at 117k. The struts/shocks definitely feel like they need to be changed. Same with my sway bar bushings.
Speaking of which, why is it impossible to find sway bar bushings for this Jeep KL trailhawk?

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Bushings come with the sway bar, reduces the number of inventory items.
This is the usual Corporate practice, been going on for decades.
Sometimes you can find a MOOG individual part and install it yourself.
Repair departments don't have a machine shop with presses and special tools.
Looks like I need to add a line item to my Budget for major Jeep repairs, I am rapidly approaching 120K and go off road quite lot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ouch,

This just happened to me... read here:

Hazard, Thump and Vibes -100% Bolts sheared off PTU (2017 Trailhawk) | 2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums (jeepcherokeeclub.com)

So far, Jeep "Cares" hasn't been very helpful. The dealer was, but even replacing the bolts is an expensive repair. I speculate that the root cause is associated with ineffective recall W47, which admits there is an issue with the PTU but doesn't go far enough to fix every potential problem.

Filing a notices with the NHTSA later tonight, I suggest you do the same.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Looks like I need to add a line item to my Budget for major Jeep repairs, I am rapidly approaching 120K and go off road quite lot.
Wise choice. I'm at 153K miles.

I just did the PTU and driver rear knuckle. Good news is the camber is in on all 4 corners.

The RDM is acting up AGAIN. Dealer will replace it under warranty since it was just replaced last NOV.

Where is my new Bronco Raptor? Can't wait!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts