2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove my 2014 jeep cherokee limited to work today and when I was heading home and tried auto start it would not start. I got close to the car and the dashboard was flashing. I trying to open the door but it could not detect the key fob in my back pocket. I had to push the unlock on fob to open then door and I tried stepping on breaks and push start but nothing. No lights on dashboard. It would flicker and turn completely off. Had a buddy with a battery charger come help.but that didnt work at all. After a couple of more tries the keyfob stopped working. Could not lock or unlock doors. Had to manually lock doors. No more lights, seem to be dead now.. Car would not crank or do anything. Do I have a problem with my battery? Please help.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Have your car battery completely checked charged up load checked, voltage when running voltage when off.
also change batteries in your remote.
I gather at this point you got it to a Shop.

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date May 2019

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Welcome to the club.
If you have road side assistance call them.
There are mobile battery installation companies that will come to your vehicle.
Or, tow it to a Jeep dealer. They can install a new battery and diagnose any codes that may be 'set'.
Depending on how many miles are on your vehicle you may need other repairs.
Report back on what you do so the rest of us can get educated.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Drove my 2014 jeep cherokee limited to work today and when I was heading home and tried auto start it would not start. I got close to the car and the dashboard was flashing. I trying to open the door but it could not detect the key fob in my back pocket. I had to push the unlock on fob to open then door and I tried stepping on breaks and push start but nothing. No lights on dashboard. It would flicker and turn completely off. Had a buddy with a battery charger come help.but that didnt work at all. After a couple of more tries the keyfob stopped working. Could not lock or unlock doors. Had to manually lock doors. No more lights, seem to be dead now.. Car would not crank or do anything. Do I have a problem with my battery? Please help.
Hi and welcome :)

Just curious : did you buy this Jeep new, or used ? I'm asking to check whether the original battery has been replaced yet. They typically last 4 years average, less in hot climates.
If your battery is dying, using a charger would require many hours to replenish it sufficiently to get cranking power - especially if charger is low current ; a boost would be more revealing/helpful.

We can help you find the appropriate battery, if you need a new one. V6 or 4 cylinder ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi and welcome :)

Just curious : did you buy this Jeep new, or used ? I'm asking to check whether the original battery has been replaced yet. They typically last 4 years average, less in hot climates.
If your battery is dying, using a charger would require many hours to replenish it sufficiently to get cranking power - especially if charger is low current ; a boost would be more revealing/helpful.

We can help you find the appropriate battery, if you need a new one. V6 or 4 cylinder ?
I bought the jeep used with 77000 miles. I think the battery have been replaced before but not sure. The engine is a 2.7L 4 cylinder i believe.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
I bought the jeep used with 77000 miles. I think the battery have been replaced before but not sure. The engine is a 2.7L 4 cylinder i believe.
Thx. That would be the 2.4L 4 cylinder.

Ok, so... you may be looking at the Jeep's third battery. If you have a big chain auto parts store near you, they can load test the battery for free.

If you need a new one, OEM for yours is a group 48 (H6) regular wet battery. I recommend a V6-sized group 94R (H7) AGM, it will only cost $30-$40 more.The battery tray in yours is designed for the bigger battery too, so no worries about fitment. A group 94R/H7 AGM runs for about $180 and they can be found everywhere including Walmart.

But first... a test to confirm battery health.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Happened to my 2015 Jeep Cherokee had the 5 year old battery replace up and running again...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts