2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! My 2014 Grand Cherokee had a ticking sound...took to dealership and the rocker arms and cam shaft need replacing to the tune of almost $3,000. I have taken care of this vehicle in every way and it looks like new! All maintenance on time or even early. Can anyone tell me how to get Jeep to help with this? I talked with Customer Service and they said they can't do anything because it's over 24,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Welcome to the Club.
FCA knows it is a problem. The 3.2L engine in Cherokees can have the same problem.
I don't know if bolt(s) come loose or if there is abnormal wear of the camshaft or roller cam.
If the bolts come loose then I need to put thread locker on them and re-torque them.
If it is a "wear" problem then hopefully synthetic oil will prevent the problem.
When you find out please post the answer here.
Try contacting Jeep Cares on this or the Grand Cherokee Club forum. They can be very helpful.
Refer to this Post: JeepCares
Use the Advanced Search feature by clicking on the 3 dots in the upper RH corner to find more posts.
There is lots of discussion about this.
JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket

·
Registered
8 Posts
I immediately took it to the dealership and they told me it was a camshaft sensor and they were just going to clear the code and hope it went away. Okay I guess. Drove it for a couple more days and it came back on with the TCS light again.

Kodi nox

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Finally found the answer to my question:
Seems to be a lubrication issue. There are a lot more videos.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Garbage engines. FCA needs to own up and fix them. Major issue across the board with the 3.2 and 3.6 doesn't matter if you do 2k oil changes with top tier synthetic oil. Still will happen.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What a nightmare !

A couple of questions for the thread starter -

What was the mileage when the ticking started ?

Is the vehicle in a cold climate ?

Do you routinely start the vehicle and then drive it immediately without letting it warm-up first ?

As in - crank it, put it gear and go ?

To me, these engines closely resemble motorcycle engines .

Because of that, I always let mine warm up a couple of minutes before that first transitional cold to operating temperature drive .

I always let it warm up first thing, I make the time for it to happen .

But then again, I am retired so I'm not in a hurry anymore .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts