2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, so if this has already been discussed please point me in the right direction to find it. Last week on my way home from work jeep was running fine. I stopped at the store to pick something up before heading home, was in the store for about 15 minutes, when I came out went to start jeep and nothing happened wouldnt even try and turn over. The message service transmission restart vehicle at zero speed came up on the dash. Thinking I had a dead battery I called my dad to come give me a jump, after jumping still nothing. Had the jeep towed home, the next day put the battery on a charger, it reads fully charged,but the jeep will still not try to turn over and im still getting the service transmission message that I stated earlier, im currently at a loss as to what it could be. So my question is has anyone had this happend to them or heard of it happening. thanks in advance.

2014 Cherokee Trailhawk v6 3.2liter

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,504 Posts
You might try turning jeep on (but don't start) and cycling the gearshift, ending up in park again, then turn off and try starting again.
Would have this happen sometimes (but rarely) on a prior Ford...

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,953 Posts
I don't know what they call it now, but it used to be the Neutral and Park Safety switch. When this would fail, it's basically thinking that the car is not in park or neutral, and therefore not allowing a start cycle. I would also check ALL battery power connections and grounds, and not just at the battery itself. Good luck, and keep us posted...😎

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
sounds like it thinks its in gear and moving when its in park and not moving?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds like it thinks its in gear and moving when its in park and not moving?
yea, sounds about right. while parked and not moving, try to start the jeep and it will not even turn over, and message comes up saying service transmission restart vehicle at zero speed. Nothing mentioned before worked, I did notice this weekend, when I cycled the gear shift, i moved it over to where you and up and downshift gears manually, with out shifting through gears it said it was in 6th gear, so that maybe whats going on? any Ideas? could it be the tcm went bad?

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,504 Posts
OK, you may have to do some disassembly to check this, but, it is quite possible that the shift cable (or one of its attachment points) has become loose/damaged.
You probably need at least a Haynes...

The 6th gear thing may, or may not be a symptom, since the Jeep isn't actually running... :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts