2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it all started driving calmly down the road....

The car shuddered, the check engine light came on, and the vechicle notified me "4x4 disabled"

I pulled over, grabbed my OBD reader, and pulled the codes:

U1424 (control unit 18)
P0390 (camshaft position (CMP) sensor B, bank 2 - circuit malfunction. Control unit 10)

Car limping, doesn't really shift above 4th gear, up to 35mph...

Font Screenshot Technology Darkness Software

Boiled down to the $36-50 cam sensor, but the one under the intake manifold.... lacking time, valuing my transportation, I had the shop diagnose and replace it. $286 parts + labor

Unfortunately.... they called me, and it didn't fix anything.

Now, it shows:

U1424(00) - (control unit 18. Status: Test Failed (current drive cycle) pending, confirmed, test failed since last DTC clear, warning indicator requested)
P0349 (CAmshaft position sensor A, bank 2 - circuit intermittent. Control unit 10)

Font Screenshot Software Terrestrial plant Slope

So... the shop told me I need a new ECM for $1100. I've deduced that in Jeeps, ECM = ECU = PCM --- can someone double confirm that? I always called it an ECU in the Honda world... I've found ECM's for as low as $230 pre-programmed, and the dealership here charges $225 for programming.

I then called Jeeps R Us, a local shop, and talked to some guy who worked there 30 years... he was like "hmmmmm.... noooo, noooo, that doesn't make sense, I mean, I've worked here 30 years, the ECM's don't go bad.... that's weird.... I would say get a second opinion... take it to another shop nearby". They're about 30 minutes from me, I'd need to have the car towed, but might do it just becuase of their experience... I have AAA so it should be covered under my membership.

I've searched for a couple hours, on these forums, and google in general, and.... man, there's not that much out there on these KL's, is there? I found this thread, but no answers... Maybe I was spoiled in the Honda game... but man, I've searched and really haven't managed to find this issue occuring anywhere else.

So, at this point, I could replace the Sensor B in Bank 2, it's super easy to get to and only $30.... but if it's something electronic, those might be just fine, non-issue.

Anyway... if anyone has any insight into this, please let me know, I'd be super appreciative! I'll post tomorrow morning when I get the new sensor into Bank 2...

Thanks!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so update today...

Installed the new Sensor A, tried to clear codes, by my reader isn't managing to clear the codes. Might need a better unit than my $10 bluetooth reader... they're all the same codes as last time.

Next step, find a reader that can clear all the codes.

-------------
Another detail I remembered -- they didn't put it on the sheet, but they said I need a new ABS unit. Didn't give any kind of explanation. Kind of weird, last-second as I was leaving with my invoice. Almost getting sleaze vibes but I just don't know.

I'm wondering if that has to do with the tone rings you mentioned -- does that relate to these random code? I definitely did a bit of water fording the other day, we had heavy rains in southern california and I found 5-6 nice puddles to go through... got a little bit of belt squeaking after one, but nothing crazy, no more than 8 inches deep.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definitely looking for someone with a WiTECH...

The car was originally in Utah, now in California, so it definitely may have seen a few years of salt.

Current status: haven't cleared the codes, not sure if I fixed it yet, need to get codes cleared at a mechanic, since my bluetooth OBD reader won't clear them for some reason (it's cleared plenty of other codes in the past, just won't do these ones)

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, I got it towed to a local dealer - called around until I found someone with a WiTECH. Upon the first scan, they were like "yep, it's definitely not your CPM, it looks like the body control module (BCM) lost communication, so we're going to need 3 days to do a process of elimination electrical diagnostic, but we should have the results by Tuesday!

They also said that since my car isn't past the 10-year mark (2014), they have packages for bumper-to-bumper warranty service packages I can get for a few thousand -- definitely investing in that, as I plan to mod it and keep it for awhile!

I'll let you all know what the result is as soon as I find out, but so far, it looks like the WiTECH is essential, and I'll for sure never take it back to MAC's Auto in Costa Mesa -- they were about to replace the ECM for $1100 (when I can get rebuilds for $400)... damn part changers. Change part, oops it didn't work, change another part, charge you, bunch of BS.... well, I shouldn't speak too soon, I'll know when it's fixed LOL.

Thanks for all the help in here!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts