2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
What's the temperature, fuel level? Check and make sure your fuses are good and seated (esp fuel, ignition and control module related)
Good luck! :cool:馃

Registered
If you go to the RUN position, then open the rear hatch can you hear the fuel pump run?
On my old SAAB I could hear the fuel pump, don't know for the Jeep.
Hopefully somebody knows.
There is a Post on here about defective relays that needed to be replaced.
What model years was this for? Does this apply to the OP?
smash18274, what model, year and engine do you have? That may help us answer your question.
Take the cover off of the engine and look around for rodent damage. Like chewed wires.
If you have an enemy did they plug your tail pipe with a potato?
Ok, so I am really stretching this a lot.
Look around in the PDC and see if there is blown fuse.
All of the relays in the PDC are the same. Look at the underside of the fuse panel cover.
Interchange some relays that seem to have something to do with starting the Jeep.
Maybe you will get lucky.
See if this Post helps: Cranks won鈥檛 start . Help!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's the temperature, fuel level? Check and make sure your fuses are good and seated (esp fuel, ignition and control module related)
Checked all of those, all fuses are good. Im thinking fuel pump module or fuel pump. Its been sputtering a little bit lately but it doesn't throw any codes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you go to the RUN position, then open the rear hatch can you hear the fuel pump run?
On my old SAAB I could hear the fuel pump, don't know for the Jeep.
Hopefully somebody knows.
There is a Post on here about defective relays that needed to be replaced.
What model years was this for? Does this apply to the OP?
smash18274, what model, year and engine do you have? That may help us answer your question.
Take the cover off of the engine and look around for rodent damage. Like chewed wires.
If you have an enemy did they plug your tail pipe with a potato?
Ok, so I am really stretching this a lot.
Look around in the PDC and see if there is blown fuse.
All of the relays in the PDC are the same. Look at the underside of the fuse panel cover.
Interchange some relays that seem to have something to do with starting the Jeep.
Maybe you will get lucky.
See if this Post helps: Cranks won鈥檛 start . Help!!
I do not hear a fuel pump. But never have. its a push button ignition so motor turns as soon as you hit the button. Not like a key that you can turn but not start.

Registered
Checked all of those, all fuses are good. Im thinking fuel pump module or fuel pump. Its been sputtering a little bit lately but it doesn't throw any codes.
Be sure to check the fuel filter and evap system as well. You are a leg up by having pulled any codes. Knowing about the prior sputtering would have been helpful...:cool:

Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
I do not hear a fuel pump. But never have. its a push button ignition so motor turns as soon as you hit the button. Not like a key that you can turn but not start.
Don鈥檛 put your foot on the brake and push the start button twice it will go to run position (run light by the button) after aux position . To get back to off push it once again without touching the brake pedal

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Be sure to check the fuel filter and evap system as well
Unfortunately, we don't have a fuel filter. Really strange if you ask me, and I'm not sure of their reasoning for this. There's just a sock on the pump, inside the tank...馃槑

Registered
2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 2.4l - 400,000+ miles
Unfortunately, we don't have a fuel filter. Really strange if you ask me, and I'm not sure of their reasoning for this. There's just a sock on the pump, inside the tank...馃槑
Sounds like a fuel pump. I have replaced mine twice - once around 200,000 miles then again at 400,000 miles. Remove back seat to access fuel pump. Watch a video or pay $1000 to $1500 dollars to get it replaced. Follow the safety procedures and make sure the battery is disconnected.

Registered
I'll be! I looked at the Haynes, it said it had a fuel strainer (I think that's what you mean by the sock) and a fuel filter. But it did say they are part of the primary 'fuel pump module', so maybe it is not separately serviceable. :cool:

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
Sounds like a fuel pump. I have replaced mine twice - once around 200,000 miles then again at 400,000 miles. Remove back seat to access fuel pump. Watch a video or pay $1000 to $1500 dollars to get it replaced. Follow the safety procedures and make sure the battery is disconnected.
Ya, it doesn't look too terribly difficult. The seat removal appears to be the hardest part...馃槑

Registered
I'll be! I looked at the Haynes, it said it had a fuel strainer (I think that's what you mean by the sock) and a fuel filter. But it did say they are part of the primary 'fuel pump module', so maybe it is not separately serviceable. :cool:
Ya, it's really not. If you are going to be in the tank anyway, might as well change everything. I guess a resourceful person could spice into the fuel line and fabricate a spot for a fuel filter, but it would have to be right, considering the fuel pressure on our fuel system...馃槑

Premium Member
Been doing that for a while now. My 99 XJ was the same.

:cool:

Registered
Ya, it's really not. If you are going to be in the tank anyway, might as well change everything. I guess a resourceful person could spice into the fuel line and fabricate a spot for a fuel filter, but it would have to be right, considering the fuel pressure on our fuel system...馃槑
That's what's great about this forum, always something to learn!

Reactions: Flybynightcru
1 - 15 of 15 Posts