2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Tiny bit of low volume drone. But turn on any sound or music at low volume and take it away. But it does have a deeper throaty sound. And I get looks and compliments all the time now lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Tiny bit of low volume drone. But turn on any sound or music at low volume and take it away. But it does have a deeper throaty sound. And I get looks and compliments all the time now lol
Now the RRM tuning >
Haha hells yes! Still haven’t gotten it yet. I think there behind. I’m so stoked to get this thing tuned and dialed in!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So I talked to rpm and I guess some tuners were stolen. Pretty effed up. So there behind. So still waiting but excited.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any update on the RPM tuner? Very interested to hear about your results/experiences after the tune. Do you know if they work for all 2014+ models with the 3.2L or just the 2014?

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I got my 10416 installed today, its exactly what I needed, I find its actually quieter inside and its got more of a rumble/bass tone than before(compared to the stock resonator). Driving around town i hardly hear it at all(inside). On the highway 2000-2500rpm is still drones but its not as bad at all. I"ll get some sound clips this weekend
I'm starting to get the feeling like I should have just gone through your whole back catalogue of comments so I could have had everything all ready to install all at once instead of a piece at a time...

You mention that with a 10416, the droning is much better. How would you quantify that? So, for example, if stock resonator and flowmaster super 10 combo makes an 8/10 interior noise, how much out of 10 would it be with 10416 and super 10?

To be 100% honest, the droning doesn't bother me so much as I'm worried how much it'll end up bothering my wife and son. If I'm able to tone it down a bit, I think it'll be passable, but as it is I feel like a long drive will become exhausting (no pun intended) for them.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
I'm starting to get the feeling like I should have just gone through your whole back catalogue of comments so I could have had everything all ready to install all at once instead of a piece at a time...

You mention that with a 10416, the droning is much better. How would you quantify that? So, for example, if stock resonator and flowmaster super 10 combo makes an 8/10 interior noise, how much out of 10 would it be with 10416 and super 10?

To be 100% honest, the droning doesn't bother me so much as I'm worried how much it'll end up bothering my wife and son. If I'm able to tone it down a bit, I think it'll be passable, but as it is I feel like a long drive will become exhausting (no pun intended) for them.
The droning with no resonator would be 10/10 terrible, meaning 10 is the worst.

With the resonator on the frequency changed to something that was not as high pitched and "lower" is the best way to describe it. It didn't make it perfect by any stretch but the sound while still being loud was much more tolerable

·
Registered
202 Posts
FWIW Ive just over the last few weeks gone thru fitting an Aerochamber 21721HKR rear muffler - then three different replacements for the resonator - to finally get something I like.

The factory resonator BTW chokes down to TWO inches from 2 1/2 and then expands back out to 2 1/2 - ie. factory res is a 2 inch choke point in the otherwise 2 1/2 inch system.

Ive used inline Aerochamber mufflers in the past - and have to say their transverse muffler does not work the same and produce the same lovely deep rumble. If I had my time again I'd try fitting a Vibrant 10633 rear muffler (it's a transverse fit / side in / ends out same as the factory rear muff - below is a clip of that on a 2.4L Chrylser 200).

The best note overall was with an 8x4x10 oval muffler up front - which has a chamber in the middle. Very sexy exotic sports car DEEP ripping note only a bit louder than factory but MUCH better sounding - but I just wasn't happy with how much it ended up hanging. The exhaust shop also left the pipework hanging down which i was NOT happy about - but ultimately I think was a by product of them trying to get that muffler up as high as possible. Here's a pic:

OVAL 4" x 8" x 10" FWD RES / MUFFLER

Next I tried a 14" louvred hot dog up front - ie. that has louvres not just perforations - and the open ends of the louvres are facing into the gas flow. That was very similar to Tyler's vids at the drag track - perhaps a bit deeper (tho Tylers is probably that little deeper in real life vs the vids) - and overall altho I liked the note it was just a bit too loud. Here's a pic:

LOUVRED 14" HOTDOG - installed this myself with clamps.

Finally Ive fitted a 4" x 14" barrel resonator with chamber in the middle - more or less same as a hot dog but with a chamber in the middle. I think Im happy with the sound now - it actually believe it or not has a similar note to a factory Trackhawk! - ie. deep blat blat type thing. It sticks down slightly more than either the factory res or a hotdog - and has a flat front edge where the hotdog and factory res are rounded or virtually flat respectively - but i can live with it. It's also like the aerochamber muffler only mild steel not stainless. I also took care of lifting the pipework back up which I'm happy about. Here's a pic:

BARREL RES (CHAMBERED) 4" x 14" - I also installed this myself with clamps.

My plan from here to be honest is to replace the Aerochamber with the Vibrant 10633 - which will make the rear section cleaner by returning it to factory configuration and is stainless steel as well as looking to have a good note - and to also replace this fwd res with a Vibrant 1141 Ultra Quiet Res in 2.5" (that's essentially identical to this barrel res except in 304 stainless). Will have to save beer money for a while or wait till tax time next year for that.

My wife was just walking past and pointed out our system actually sounds very close to this vid when just revving in neutral - and she's quite right. When driving it's deeper with a very nice and tough choppy blat blat note. Ive tried capturing with both our smart phones but the result is crap so i wont even post.

Here's vid of the Vibrant 10633 on a 2.4 Chrysler 200 - keep in mind this is without a resonator:

Reactions: Reel Crazy

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
So here's what I've learned so far. When I had the super 10 put in, I had them use my stock tips and kept them in the exact stock position. What I think is happening is that the exhaust sounds are bouncing back into the cavernous cavity left by where the stock muffler used to be and resonates big time. My theory is that while there is definitely drone, a lot of the sound is from that cavity.

As a proof of concept, I slipped some bolt-on tips right over my stock tips and extended them out by nearly 3-4". It's not doing my departure angle any favours, BUT I have noticed a significant drop off in drone. The distance from the bumper cover cutouts isn't significant, what's significant is we now know the sound does bounce back into the cavity and resonates.

My next step will be to have my welder weld in a small nipple at each tail pipe and extend my stock tips out by an inch or two. I'll then use some fiberglass header tape to wrap around that pipe right where the cutouts in the bumper cover are and close up that space where sound can bounce back.

I think this mod, coupled with the 10416 which we know helps with the overall sound and drone (thanks, Tyler!), I figure I can have interior sound down to nearly stock levels while also maintaining most of that aggressive growl, and most of the departure angle. I'll lose a bit, no doubt, but it should be a good trade-off.

Reactions: Trailfirst

·
Registered
202 Posts
There is more restriction ahead of the resonator so the fact it goes down to 2" really doesn't matter from a performance standpoint
If each fwd pipe is crushed to the equivalent of 1.5" diameter thats a final combined cross sectional area of around 3.54

2" pipe has a cross sectional area of 3.14

2.5" pipe has a cross sectional area of 4.9

Also each of those those 2 fwd sections are fed by 1.6 litres of engine capacity so proportionally their restrictions are less critical (esp considering the velocity thru each until they merge) vs trying to shove the full 3.2 litres down the pipe once they combine.

I hear you about that fwd crushed pipework but I just can't come at having that 2 inch section there.

I haven't been out on the open highway since removing the factory res but I've always felt the wee beastie was breathless in the top end under load so I'm dying to see how it feels now. Fun factor for normal driving up to 80 - 90 kph is certainly up about 1000% 😁

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
You aren't going to gain any performance with exhaust, If you want higher RPM performance
1. PUG intake manifold
2. AFE Intake
3. Ported Throttlebody

All those mods created more top end power, both tuned and not tuned.

A 2014 TH with a totally stock exhaust system and AFE intake (identical to how I was set up stock) Ran a nearly identical 1/4 mile time at the same track I did.

Exhaust is nothing to worry about on this platform.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Fair enough (y) - and i have to admit I can't say I seriously ever expected much change - the factory resonator is where nearly all the effect is for altering the sound of the system anyhow and fitting 2.5 inch replacement causes no harm :cool:

I've come from a car that could haul effortlessly thru to 300kph and more - and run at that speed all day - with an engine that felt STRONGER above 140kph than below - so coming down to such a soft top end is something I'm still a bit so so about when I encounter it. The TH doesn't handle well enough to really be used above 140kph but feeling that breathlessness leaves me a bit flat for what I've lost.

I do have a really nice note that I'm very happy with now - and which was the main objective in messing with the exhaust in the first place. Improved power I'm not gonna even bother going for any further until cams come out for this engine - TRUE power comes from heads and cams + tuning.

Reactions: Tyler-98-W68
21 - 34 of 34 Posts