1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
3,039 Posts
Deleting the resonator is the single biggest thing that affects the sound on these vehicles. I have the flowmaster super 10 muffler (in the factory location) and it was loud and droned alot. I then took out the resonator and that just turned it into something insanely loud.

Does your drone, specifically around the 2000-2400rpm range that is where mine is the worst

Check out my videos for comparison.

What I might do to quiet mine down is put the muffler you have linked in place of where my resonator was, to quiet my exhaust a bit

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tyler yes from 2000+ rpms it’s just insanely loud. And sounds just like yours does. I’m thinking of getting the longer magnaflow 6 inch round 12640, or 11216 4x9 oval. Orrrr adding another freaking muffler to it lmao!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
3,039 Posts
I don't doubt they probably sound identical you've got 1 "muffler" reducing the sound like I do. I'd like to add what you did but I think my issue is the Super 10 muffler is just insane loud as it is, so even if I add something ahead I think I still will have the same drone problem. I still have my factory muffler and would love to hear what the factory muffler sounds like with no resonator. The issue I have with the factory muffler is it hangs too low for going off-road.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Why don’t you get a different bigger Flowmaster or another bigger Flowmaster? Or put the resonator back on?
I’m going to get the magnaflow 4x9 xl muffler put on and go from there.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I don't doubt they probably sound identical you've got 1 "muffler" reducing the sound like I do. I'd like to add what you did but I think my issue is the Super 10 muffler is just insane loud as it is, so even if I add something ahead I think I still will have the same drone problem. I still have my factory muffler and would love to hear what the factory muffler sounds like with no resonator. The issue I have with the factory muffler is it hangs too low for going off-road.
I find the fact that the engineers at Jeep went to all the effort of designing the front and rear facias on the TH for added approach/depatrure angles and then put that "Trash Can" muffler hanging below completely asinine. I'm sure you all have seen the smashed up muffler photos of those TH's that have been off Rockin. I installed the Magnaflow kit on my 2016 TH, big improvement over stock but i don't think the big tips would survive any extreme rock crawling but that's not in my future plans anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,039 Posts
I find the fact that the engineers at Jeep went to all the effort of designing the front and rear facias on the TH for added approach/depatrure angles and then put that "Trash Can" muffler hanging below completely asinine. I'm sure you all have seen the smashed up muffler photos of those TH's that have been off Rockin. I installed the Magnaflow kit on my 2016 TH, big improvement over stock but i don't think the big tips would survive any extreme rock crawling but that's not in my future plans anyway.
The day after I got my flowmaster muffler on, I ripped my back bumper off offroad, so the muffler is there as a warning before you rip the bumper off.

I kept the stock tips since they don't stick out much at all. The magnaflow kit has a resonator as well as a muffler so i'm guessing its significantly quieter. I've looked at larger flowmasters but again they hang down too much and I might damage them offroad

I don't want to put the factory resonator on because i would want to try something different. I really like the way mine sounds, its nice and deep but eventually i'll probably be forced to do something when my vehicle starts to get used to run the kiddos around

·
Premium Member
3,039 Posts
Tyler yes from 2000+ rpms it’s just insanely loud. And sounds just like yours does. I’m thinking of getting the longer magnaflow 6 inch round 12640, or 11216 4x9 oval. Orrrr adding another freaking muffler to it lmao!!
So I ended up buying the 10416 muffler from amazon (it was on sale) so i'm not sure when i'm going to get it installed but i will have it installed in place of the factory resonator. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the factory resonator. Hopefully it will quiet down just a little bit since as I said before its pretty loud as is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I ended up buying the 10416 muffler from amazon (it was on sale) so i'm not sure when i'm going to get it installed but i will have it installed in place of the factory resonator. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the factory resonator. Hopefully it will quiet down just a little bit since as I said before its pretty loud as is.

Sounds good man! hopefully it does. I changed my system. I had the magnaflow XL chamber 13254 installed in place of the 10416 muffler. Then I had the 10416 installed a couple feet back from the chamber muffler. With the y-pipe still there. Here are some pictures..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,039 Posts
So how does it sound? probaly a little bit quieter? Did you lose any ground clearance putting that muffler in place of the first muffler you had. That is my only concern right now. I may have to face the fact that no matter what I do, the Super 10 muffler I have just might have to go.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So how does it sound? probaly a little bit quieter? Did you lose any ground clearance putting that muffler in place of the first muffler you had. That is my only concern right now. I may have to face the fact that no matter what I do, the Super 10 muffler I have just might have to go.
Do you have enough pipe to put a super 10 on each pipe, behind the tips? And you’ll need a longer muffler instead of the 10416. It needs to be longer or thicker. Like a 5x8 or a 4x9 or use a 6 inch magnaflow or put another Flowmaster like a series 80 or something, that’s bigger thicker and longer. Lmao. That’s what she said. But my setup is quiet, very minimal drone if any. I’ll take some sound clips tomorrow. I have about an inch less clearance. But I’m not rock climbing. Mostly mudding or hauling ass on the freeway. Love that this thing gets up and moves.

·
Premium Member
3,039 Posts
I don't think I have enough room to get to super 10's at the back end, i'm all about the ground clearance for offroading. I often though about putting another super 10 in place of where the resonator was. What's interesting is if you look at the magnaflow catback, it comes with a resonator which replaces the factory one but its really small and I can't seem to find it as a stand alone part. Once I put the 10416 in if i'm still wanting more silence i'll ditch the super 10 altogether and try something else.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dang it. I keep forgetting. Ok I’ll make some videos today.

·
Premium Member
3,039 Posts
I got my 10416 installed today, its exactly what I needed, I find its actually quieter inside and its got more of a rumble/bass tone than before(compared to the stock resonator). Driving around town i hardly hear it at all(inside). On the highway 2000-2500rpm is still drones but its not as bad at all. I"ll get some sound clips this weekend

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 34 Posts