2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,
Here's a video of the rattle noise I've been chasing that I posted about earlier this summer. It happens when I accelerate and the car is in either 3rd, 4th or 5th gear and the engine is at 2000 RPM. When the rattle happens, it feels like the engine is lugging and the tranny should be in a lower gear than it is. Once I accelerate past about 2200 RPM the noise goes away and the car sounds great. I can easily replicate the noise all the time. The same rattle noise happens when I start it up from sitting overnight. I hear it for a second and it goes away at idle. I am unable to replicate the noise in Park or Neutral while revving. It is driving me bonkers. Please check out the video and let me know what you guys think. I hope you all are doing well! Thank you!

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
833 Posts
I also have the 2.4L engine, although I've changed things up a bit, but I don't recall ever hearing something like this. It sounds like you've been dealing with this for a while, so has it changed since the beginning? What is the vehicle (version, year?) and have you made any changes or mods (larger tires, lift, etc.)? It appears to be either related to movement or transmission operation. What have you actually looked at?

Reactions: 2020AltitudeKL

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also have the 2.4L engine, although I've changed things up a bit, but I don't recall ever hearing something like this. It sounds like you've been dealing with this for a while, so has it changed since the beginning? What is the vehicle (version, year?) and have you made any changes or mods (larger tires, lift, etc.)? It appears to be either related to movement or transmission operation. What have you actually looked at?
Thank you for the reply! It’s a 2020 altitude, 2WD. It’s completely stock. I changed the oil and rotated the tires in mid April. I check the oil frequently and it doesn’t burn a drop. I’ve gotten underneath and poked and tapped the whole exhaust and it doesn’t make any rattling noise. I also checked the lug nuts and they’re tight as well. It began about 3 months ago. It was intermittent then but now it happens every time I drive. The car drives fine but the noise is awful in person. The car only has 8500 miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
833 Posts
I wouldn't waste any more time and take it into a reputable Jeep dealer and tell them you want this resolved because it's not getting any better, only worse. Something's wrong here and they shouldn't come back with 'can't duplicate issue'.

It almost sounds like it's reaching a resonant frequency.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I’ll make a dealer appointment. I’m glad you guys can hear what I’m hearing. Its very noticeable when driving with the window down. I’ve been going nuts trying to figure it out. Could it be something in the transmission that’s making that noise?

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,508 Posts
Definitely Dealer Time! That's what the 3 Year warranty is there for! :cool:

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
833 Posts
I think I’ll make a dealer appointment. I’m glad you guys can hear what I’m hearing. Its very noticeable when driving with the window down. I’ve been going nuts trying to figure it out. Could it be something in the transmission that’s making that noise?
No, no, there's not been any complaints about this transmission.;);)

Reactions: 2020AltitudeKL

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hey everybody,
Here's a video of the rattle noise I've been chasing that I posted about earlier this summer. It happens when I accelerate and the car is in either 3rd, 4th or 5th gear and the engine is at 2000 RPM. When the rattle happens, it feels like the engine is lugging and the tranny should be in a lower gear than it is. Once I accelerate past about 2200 RPM the noise goes away and the car sounds great. I can easily replicate the noise all the time. The same rattle noise happens when I start it up from sitting overnight. I hear it for a second and it goes away at idle. I am unable to replicate the noise in Park or Neutral while revving. It is driving me bonkers. Please check out the video and let me know what you guys think. I hope you all are doing well! Thank you!

It sure sounds like something loose rattling, maybe a heat shield like was suggested earlier, or part of the exhaust, or something random in the engine bay. Being sensitive to RPM could be due to resonance. When the engine hits the resonant frequency of whatever is loose, it starts rattling, and as you increase RPM further, you go out of resonance, so it dies down.
The sheet metal disk break shields behind my front brakes rattle occasionally when I hit a bump while turning. That's kinda what this reminds me of, but in my case it is a single rattle or clink rather than a continuous noise like yours. But if something similar to that, like one of the heat shields, maybe on the exhaust manifold, or farther down along the exhaust pipes? Just a guess, but since you're under warranty and you can easily replicate this issue, let the dealership figure it out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It sure sounds like something loose rattling, maybe a heat shield like was suggested earlier, or part of the exhaust, or something random in the engine bay. Being sensitive to RPM could be due to resonance. When the engine hits the resonant frequency of whatever is loose, it starts rattling, and as you increase RPM further, you go out of resonance, so it dies down.
The sheet metal disk break shields behind my front brakes rattle occasionally when I hit a bump while turning. That's kinda what this reminds me of, but in my case it is a single rattle or clink rather than a continuous noise like yours. But if something similar to that, like one of the heat shields, maybe on the exhaust manifold, or farther down along the exhaust pipes? Just a guess, but since you're under warranty and you can easily replicate this issue, let the dealership figure it out.
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you and AZFred. I paid very close attention today running my errands around town and it definitely sounds more like a tinny exhaust rattle. I’m due for another oil change in a few hundred miles. I’m going to go back through again and check the whole exhaust one more time when I’m doing the oil. I’m gonna look under the hood and check the manifold heat shield. If I can’t find anything I’m gonna make the appointment.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick update guys. I found this little guy wedged in the felt protective cover near the drain plug under the car. It obviously backed itself out of something which I believe is what is rattling. What’s the best way to remove the protective cover from under the car and what the hell did it back out of? Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
833 Posts
Go to the Mopar parts website and look through the parts drawings for any areas relative to where you found that and look through the parts explosions. What is the bolt diameter and thread size? That will help to pin it down because you are right - something is missing a bolt. Obviously not from a skid plate, but it is something that requires a strong and secure fastener - maybe suspension related?

Nice work, by the way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Go to the Mopar parts website and look through the parts drawings for any areas relative to where you found that and look through the parts explosions. What is the bolt diameter and thread size? That will help to pin it down because you are right - something is missing a bolt. Obviously not from a skid plate, but it is something that requires a strong and secure fastener - maybe suspension related?

Nice work, by the way.
Thank you. I feel so much better now that I found a clue to what that noise is. It’s got a 13mm head, and is a 8.8 class bolt so it’s not a dinky little fastener. I will google that website and see what I find. Tomorrow I’m gonna remove that whole belly pan and I’m hoping to see something obvious. I’ll let you all know what I find!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts