2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
19' Cherokee 37k miles, battery died, replaced battery and now radio just shows Software update - Update Failed - Please reinsert usb drive.

Any ideas if this is fixable? Ive googled and tried every re-set button/door combo to get it to reset with no luck. No update is available when i put in vin on uconnect website, any ideas or just take it to dealer?

Motor vehicle Plant Light Product Vehicle

Thanks

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
What happens if you push the ASSIST button on the rear view mirror?
Does that connect you to Uconnect Customer Service?
I don't know so hopefully somebody on this forum can help.
I looked in the 2019 Owners Manual and it doesn't help.
Is disconnecting the negative battery cable for a while a possible solution?

Try contacting "Jeep Cares" on this forum, maybe they can help.
Sometimes checking other FCA forums may help since we all use basically the same Uconnect system.

Whenever I replace my battery I take it to my Jeep dealer and let them install it, then I can avoid all the drama and let them fix it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
19' Cherokee 37k miles, battery died, replaced battery and now radio just shows Software update - Update Failed - Please reinsert usb drive.

Any ideas if this is fixable? Ive googled and tried every re-set button/door combo to get it to reset with no luck. No update is available when i put in vin on uconnect website, any ideas or just take it to dealer?

View attachment 215989

Thanks
Sounds like you have tried all the different reset procedures. Have you inserted a usb drive? Doesn't matter if there is anything on it. But maybe if it sees one it will give you an option to end the update process? Just guessing here, but that is what I would do and it sure can't hurt anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No assist button on this jeep. I did disconnect battery and let it drain for an hour with same results.
Good idea with the usb drive, but it doesnt seem to have any affect on the radio error message and power cycling.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
back when I had the OEM radio, I would have taken something like this to the dealer & let them figure it out

I swapped the radio in my 2014 w/ aftermarket a cpl years ago & remain happy I did so. stuff like this makes me want to stay away from a newer model Cherokee, as much as I like the car. I might get another, but I'd be attracted to a base model with no connect & then swap the radio, 1st thing

·
Registered
6 Posts

View attachment 215989

Thanks
have you fixed this issue? can u share the radio update files please?

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Hi there. If you are not in North America, you should not get your firmware files from other countries' radios.

Edit to rephrase : you should only install firmware for your country/market.

Reactions: AtlCade69

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, tried every firmware/file format/jump drive I could find and no luck on getting to do anything, just stuck in the insert drive loop. Dealer has a radio on order, still waiting on an eta.... Nothing like no radio, no back up cam, no heated seats, etc etc. Glad its a lease and will be gone soon, assuming it will go back with a dead radio.

Theres a huge website out there that lists lots of jeeps for sale and has there vin numbers listed. Maybe that "could" help you on getting firmware to download from the official site.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there. If you are not in North America, you should not get your firmware files from other countries' radios.

Edit to rephrase : you should only install firmware for your country/market.
Yes. I’m in Mexico. Mexico is part of North America btw. The files are the same to. I just want to reinstall the software (issues) but I don’t have the files anymore and can’t download them again either. The dealerships here in Mexico charge about $50 dollars to reinstall the software. That’s why I’m looking if I can get them here or anywhere else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nope, tried every firmware/file format/jump drive I could find and no luck on getting to do anything, just stuck in the insert drive loop. Dealer has a radio on order, still waiting on an eta.... Nothing like no radio, no back up cam, no heated seats, etc etc. Glad its a lease and will be gone soon, assuming it will go back with a dead radio.

Theres a huge website out there that lists lots of jeeps for sale and has there vin numbers listed. Maybe that "could" help you on getting firmware to download from the official site.
I’ve tried about 20 VINs without success (all “up to date”) bad luck I guess. That’s why I’m asking for the files. I will keep trying. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No problem, let me know if you get your radio to work.
Thanks for the help. But there isn’t firmware for our radio there. Ours is model vp2_8.4 KL SXM
what is file name of the one that you have? maybe you can share it on google drive or something. you will help me a lot. thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the help. But there isn’t firmware for our radio there. Ours is model vp2_8.4 KL SXM
what is file name of the one that you have? maybe you can share it on google drive or something. you will help me a lot. thanks in advance!
Sorry carflo83, I never was able to find the correct firmware. I was just trying a hail marry approach with the hope of it doing anything. Dealer installed a refurbished radio yesterday for a little under $500usd.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol - The refub radio is now randomly resetting and losing the stored radio stations. Im done, happy this is lease going back soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts