2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey team,
Not new to jeeps but purchased this one new in 2015.
95k and finally rounded the oem lug nut key.

Help me figure out how to get a new one as napa and such just have general keys

Only the stealership perhaps?
No numbers on the key of course.

Wood Automotive tire Gas Cylinder Tints and shades

Wood Fluid Gas Household hardware Wood stain

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Hi and welcome :)
I've never done this myself, but YouTube has a LOT of videos on this.
If you are willing to try... something like this perhaps ? :

If not, then any good tire shop tech or good mechanic can do this for you.

Good luck ;)

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Iron8cally used another thread and found it have the lock I'd card yay for saving everything

Ordered replacement and PayPal $5 discount so $14 out the door woowhoo
Okie-dokie !

Now, get rid of those locks... and get some one-piece bolts before you experience the mangled OEM capped bolt nightmare.

Something like these : https://www.amazon.com/dynofit-2015-2022-Renegade-2018-2022-2014-2022/dp/B09WMP82J7/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1T9WVMXHCCID2&keywords=m12.1.25+lug+bolts&qid=1663643293&sprefix=m12.1.25+lug+bolts,aps,77&sr=8-11

·
Registered
266 Posts
All lock keys will have a tag with the key serial number from the manufacturer. Get that code and call the manufacturer and give them the number and they will make a new key and send it to you. I had to do this twice with McGard due to lost keys. They usually charge about $20 a key

If you don't have the key serial number, most reputable tire shops will have security lug remover tools for stripped lugs or keys. You will have to buy a new set of locking lugs with key as the removal tool will destroy the locking lug.

AK4wheeler

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Hi and welcome :)
I've never done this myself, but YouTube has a LOT of videos on this.
If you are willing to try... something like this perhaps ? :
This is exactly why so many wheels with locking lug nuts/bolts get stolen! Like most "locks", it 1) is a deterrent to the uninitiated and lazy, and 2) at least the couple of whacks on the socket might alert someone.

I'm guessing an impact wrench was used on the key. Perhaps the lug bolt was over-torqued when it was put on. Good keys are made of hardened steel, but that one looks pretty soft.

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
62 Posts
My 2019 TH/E came with wheel locks (3) and the Toyota dealer did not have the key (actually he was so dumb he didn't even know there were locks on the 3 wheels, until I said, "what would to do if that tire had a flat?").
Took it to a Jeep dealer, they did not have the key, but they got me 3 lug bolts for free. They suggest their CDR dealer down the street. They had the key, and the lock were removed in 5 minutes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts