2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I hit the first milestone of my Trailhawk's life and hit 10,000 miles the other day.

Happy to report all is well mechanically.

Vehicle was purchased in April of 2015. I know 10,000 miles already?!? We live in Italy and we have done a lot of traveling. The Jeep has seen roads in three different countries now :) Italy, Austria and Germany.

All trans flashes were done before I picked the vehicle up. The only complaint I have is the lack of down shift from third. I have to remember to always slow down enough of make a complete stop so that the trans will shift into 1st or 2nd or else it stays in 3rd and when I punch, the rig lags until the RPMs catch up with the tranny being in 3rd. But honestly its not that big of a deal and is something my wife and I have gotten used to over time.

Moil life indicator is currently at 42% and I plan to do the second oil change once it hits 30%. Just my personnel preference. It's usually about 7-8 thousand miles. I run a full synthetic.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Good to hear, and I do envy you your travels in different countries. I agree 100% with the synthetic. I have used it in all my new cars for years, changing to synthetic just after the break-in period. It pays in reliability. - Ted
:grin:

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
your putting somes eat time in.. much like myself
glad things are going well
you might want to get the latest reflash which fixes the downshift issue

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
so, we can't force into a lower gear than 3rd? I was thinking about this the other day

·
Registered
836 Posts
i dont understand the care for 3rd and 2rd gear

the 2nd gear is used when accelling , but when slowing down to a creep, 3rd gear is just fine. ill drop from 4th at 25mph, then 3 all the way down to 0. nothing that I care about, it drives just fine. perfect smooth, even power across all speeds

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
so, we can't force into a lower gear than 3rd? I was thinking about this the other day
ERS allows you to "force" it into a lower gear than 3rd as long as the RPMs are not too high for the particular downshift.

Reactions: Afemoralez

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I honestly haven't tried to force it, but when I do plan to roll through a stop I always make sure that I have room from on coming traffic due to the lagging.

There is actually 3 recalls I need to have done...
Liftgate
UConnect
Windshield wipers

I should be getting an assignment back to the states sometime soon so I have been holding off but If I am not gone by the end of the year I will make an attempt to deal with the Italian dealerships..
I have heard good and bad. They are not familiar with the gas engines due to the fact 99.9% Jeeps here are diesel.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
i dont understand the care for 3rd and 2rd gear
Mine is a June 2015 build so has not had any flashes since new.

First off let me state I very happy with the way it drives, but I have one spot where it plays silly buggers as I pull into my street.

Its a small roundabout with the road exiting as a hill. If I go around at my normal speed of around 15 kmh, when I exit to climb the hill I am still in third and revs around 1200rpm and no power and will not accelerate. I have to push the accelerator past half throttle before it will drop back to second then it roars into life and jumps up to about 3000rpm and climbs up to at least 5000 before changing to third unless I back right off again.

If I slow to about 10kmh around the roundabout and gently accelerate it simply drops back to 2nd and accelerates quite normally and sedately up the hill.

I don't understand why it cant drop to 2nd as easily from 15kmh as it can from 10kmh

·
Registered
2020 Trailhawk 2.0T Diamond Black
143 Posts
so I just passed 10,000 miles, and I got an automated email from the dealer about getting service?

nothing in the manual. I called and she listed at least 10+ things they check? valves, hoses, etc. I don’t know I didn't write it all down.

Do I need to take er in and pay for all this? Jeep is running fine. I have another free oil change coming end of summer so figured I'd wait till then???

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
3,613 Posts
so I just passed 10,000 miles, and I got an automated email from the dealer about getting service?

nothing in the manual. I called and she listed at least 10+ things they check? valves, hoses, etc. I don’t know I didn't write it all down.

Do I need to take er in and pay for all this? Jeep is running fine. I have another free oil change coming end of summer so figured I'd wait till then???
That's what I would do...😎

·
Registered
10,337 Posts

No, you don't need to have this done. All you ''need' to have done is listed in your owner's manual. They want money from you, extra money. Now I'm not saying it's a terrible idea in theory, it's just that I smell a money grab and I'm not convinced they would necessarily check everything they say they'll check... From my perspective, they're trying to make up for what they're not making on the free oil changes.

They can't fault you for sticking to your manual's recommandations. Your warrranty will be fine too.

Now if you trust this dealership 100% and would feel better with the extra maintenance, as long as the price is not excessive (?), then...

·
Registered
143 Posts
thanks yeah... I mean the dealer is good and all, but it is a car dealership. they for sure just want my $!!

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
there are different kinds of owners, too. there's my 90 yr old Mom who is not gonna pop the hood herself & doesn't ever go on the internet. then there are ppl like us, that are always keeping an eye & ear out & comparing notes w/ other owners of the same vehicle right here. we know how to check the vital fluids, etc. the other day I did these things for my Daughter's car w/40k miles
  • tire pressures equalized & set for the current season
  • filled the tank w/ gas & checked the gas cap
  • checked the oil
  • brought to the proper level, her coolant reservoir with the correct fluid
  • replaced wiper blades
  • cleared out vents under front windshield
  • eyeballed & wiped the brake fluid reservoir
  • wiped some other things under the hood & looked all around & underneath for issues like leaks & broken things

She has a long solo road trip coming up & I think I will have the shop that sold it to us change the oil & do more checking of things & inspections on a lift. maybe rotate the tires. I have to measure them w/ my gauge

I failed my kids cuz they don't even know when to change their wiper blades, even when they are torn. which can happen anytime. I agree w/ others, that at 10k miles you can make many assumptions & probably be fine. I'm approaching 160k miles & waaay out of warranty. thinking about having my motor mounts checked cuz, by the seat of my pants, I think I feel more engine vibration than I'm used to

·
Registered
143 Posts
there are different kinds of owners, too. there's my 90 yr old Mom who is not gonna pop the hood herself & doesn't ever go on the internet. then there are ppl like us, that are always keeping an eye & ear out & comparing notes w/ other owners of the same vehicle right here. we know how to check the vital fluids, etc. the other day I did these things for my Daughter's car w/40k miles
  • tire pressures equalized & set for the current season
  • filled the tank w/ gas & checked the gas cap
  • checked the oil
  • brought to the proper level, her coolant reservoir with the correct fluid
  • replaced wiper blades
  • cleared out vents under front windshield
  • eyeballed & wiped the brake fluid reservoir
  • wiped some other things under the hood & looked all around & underneath for issues like leaks & broken things

She has a long solo road trip coming up & I think I will have the shop that sold it to us change the oil & do more checking of things & inspections on a lift. maybe rotate the tires. I have to measure them w/ my gauge

I failed my kids cuz they don't even know when to change their wiper blades, even when they are torn. which can happen anytime. I agree w/ others, that at 10k miles you can make many assumptions & probably be fine. I'm approaching 160k miles & waaay out of warranty. thinking about having my motor mounts checked cuz, by the seat of my pants, I think I feel more engine vibration than I'm used to
I never know when to replace the wipers. I also haven't turned them on in 2 months probably because it's either been dry snow or desert wasteland since April lol

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I never know when to replace the wipers. I also haven't turned them on in 2 months probably because it's either been dry snow or desert wasteland since April lol
oh hehe I'm sure you do, when they are starting to tear from the blade or if they are not wiping as they did when new & cleaning them doesn't help. my Daughter's driver side wiper was torn for a good section & the rubber that was making contact make a big wide smudge on her windshield that required some work to get off, after I replaced the blade. after I replaced them she said: "oh wow, that's much better, I had no idea why there was a big swath that wasn't getting wiped properly" or something to that effect

1 - 15 of 15 Posts