2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here out of desperation.
My family vehicle, which is a 2016 Cherokee trailhawk 3.6 had the check engine light come on around December of 2019. Local mechanic found the code to be a misfire in cylinder 6. Coil was replaced with no issue.
About a month later engine light reappeared. Brought it back and could only get a code about the steering angle sensor.
Fast forward to now( late June 2020) and the engine temp gauge is randomly spiking and idle is VERY rough.
Brought it to the dealer finally and their equipment couldn’t even connect with the vehicle. After further inspection the radiator had a small leak and one of the cylinders would only reach 100lbs psi when every other is at 150.
Dealer says they don’t bother replacing internal parts because it is less costly to just replace the engine(of which has a two week waiting period and just under$10k

What are my options at this point? I still owe money on the vehicle and don’t know how to reach out to Chrysler on a higher level than the dealer. Vehicle was purchased brand new but has surpassed the warranty by mileage.

·
Registered
428 Posts
First post here out of desperation.
My family vehicle, which is a 2016 Cherokee trailhawk 3.6 had the check engine light come on around December of 2019. Local mechanic found the code to be a misfire in cylinder 6. Coil was replaced with no issue.
About a month later engine light reappeared. Brought it back and could only get a code about the steering angle sensor.
Fast forward to now( late June 2020) and the engine temp gauge is randomly spiking and idle is VERY rough.
Brought it to the dealer finally and their equipment couldn’t even connect with the vehicle. After further inspection the radiator had a small leak and one of the cylinders would only reach 100lbs psi when every other is at 150.
Dealer says they don’t bother replacing internal parts because it is less costly to just replace the engine(of which has a two week waiting period and just under$10k

What are my options at this point? I still owe money on the vehicle and don’t know how to reach out to Chrysler on a higher level than the dealer. Vehicle was purchased brand new but has surpassed the warranty by mileage.
Ouch!!! Tell us more. What is the mileage? The radiator leak, did it empty it, and have a major overheat? The original misfire code may or may not have been the infamous rocker failure that has been rearing it's ugly head lately. It's unfortunately becoming quite common in the 3.2 engines. They problem engines were I think pre 2018 when they changed the rockers to a different part. I'm not going to speculate, I'll let the members that have experienced the problem first hand jump in. Use the search bar and put in 3.2 rocker arm failure, and you will find numerous threads about it. Don't panic yet, hopefully the compression loss is not terminal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just under 90k miles and no, it was not a significant radiator leak at all. Thanks for the quick response. No accidents or serious off-roading either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to hear. If I recall correctly, I saw a post somewhere else on the forums, and likely by the very knowledgeable @Tyler-98-W68, that a 3.6L from a 2015-2017 Chrysler 200 will drop right in place of the 3.2L in our vehicles. In the event that this most expensive new engine scenario plays out, I'd see what the cost of the 3.6L costs in comparison to the 3.2L, as I'd almost expect the 3.6L to cost less, and you would get a performance upgrade.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
I don't think anyone has dropped a 3.6L in a Cherokee. Last I read, there could be a problem with electronics (Tyler will confirm).

If the dealer has only detected low compression in one cylinder, I would suspect a valve seat problem (a known problem with Pentastars, like the rocker problems). If it turns out to be valve seat, I believe you can have the head repaired/machined for a lot less than it would cost to replace an engine...

My advice : ask around for a a second opinion, you may find small shop techs who have experience with a Pentastar engine. Maybe another dealer, if one is not too far away ?

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
Simple typo, it's a 3.2 no special edition 3.6 cherokee.

While there isn't a lot of 3.2 Pentastar engines failing, it does happen.

Doesn't hurt to go up the food chain and ask about some help for an engine replacement. How many miles on it? 5 years powertrain warranty is standard i'm guessing you are over on the mileage?

Don't discount getting a used engine because 10k seems awful expensive for an engine swap unless that quote involved a brand new engine.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think the first thing I would do is have the rocker assembly checked on #6. Like Mark said, If it's rocker/valve seat related which we won't know until the valve cover is pulled off, even if the entire head, cams and rocker assemblies need to be replaced, that is completely doable for a hell of a lot less than replacing the engine. I would get get it to a different dealer, or reputable mechanic shop with that information, and have them assess the situation in there. I think it's pretty easy to spot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. Just realized I had posted 3.6l instead of 3.2. Also, I should have mentioned the $10k includes the radiator replacement as well.
I agree on getting a second opinion, I just dont see how its less expensive to diagnose and repair internal issues.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
Thanks for the input. Just realized I had posted 3.6l instead of 3.2. Also, I should have mentioned the $10k includes the radiator replacement as well.
I agree on getting a second opinion, I just dont see how its less expensive to diagnose and repair internal issues.
Basically, this engine is known for potential valve related problems, which cause misfire conditions. Lower compression could mean a valve seat is affected, and repairing that is way less expensive than replacing the entire engine. A good mechanic can diagnose this. I'm just worried your current dealership is not giving you all the options, perhaps going for more money than what is really needed... a LOT more money. Talk to somebody else, mention you have a Pentastar identical to a 3.6L but with a smaller cylinder bore (stroke is identical), and that you've been told you have low compression in one cylinder. Pentastars have been around a while, many techs have experience with them. You just need to find a good and honest one now...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hondo, I just went though this a few months ago. I brought my Cherokee into the service dept. for a coolant leak and that the gas v6 sounds more like a diesel engine and is idling rough. I also had a coil, #6, replaced approx. six months prior. One of the local area upper level techs just happened to be there and just by listening to it, stated it was an internal engine failure. The service advisor gave me a 1-800# to open a star case with Jeep (I looked I no longer have it). He was persistent that I call right away, and this would help to get things going faster. I called and opened the star case, three days later they called back and the rep was willing to push/ apply for a goodwill exception approval, since I was only a few months past the 5y/100k factory warranty. ( I had 76K miles) I mentioned I have the Extended Lifetime max warranty, the Goodwill conversation was over and I was transferred to a different Person/dept. who took over the case. Even though I had the Max lifetime, The dealer had to breakdown the engine and get the repair approved prior to ordering a new engine. I had to sign a contract that I would pay the fee for engine breakdown $2500 If the warranty did not approve the engine replacement. Took 7 -8 weeks, Jeep picked up my rental, Engine and radiator replaced. The Service advisor told me The out of pocket cost would have been $14,000, he stated that the extended warranty pays the dealer less, Just under $10k for the engine replacement, not including the radiator. The whole thing F-ng blows to have to go through, Hope this info helps and good luck.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm sure the Dealer will claim the estimate to replace rather than repair is due to mileage. More likely, they are unqualified to make a proper diagnosis and repair. If no help from FCA is available, find a qualified independent shop.
Low compression from a worn Valve Train component does not necessarily make noise. It needs a physical inspection and a cyl leak down test.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hondo, I just went though this a few months ago. I brought my Cherokee into the service dept. for a coolant leak and that the gas v6 sounds more like a diesel engine and is idling rough. I also had a coil, #6, replaced approx. six months prior. One of the local area upper level techs just happened to be there and just by listening to it, stated it was an internal engine failure. The service advisor gave me a 1-800# to open a star case with Jeep (I looked I no longer have it). He was persistent that I call right away, and this would help to get things going faster. I called and opened the star case, three days later they called back and the rep was willing to push/ apply for a goodwill exception approval, since I was only a few months past the 5y/100k factory warranty. ( I had 76K miles) I mentioned I have the Extended Lifetime max warranty, the Goodwill conversation was over and I was transferred to a different Person/dept. who took over the case. Even though I had the Max lifetime, The dealer had to breakdown the engine and get the repair approved prior to ordering a new engine. I had to sign a contract that I would pay the fee for engine breakdown $2500 If the warranty did not approve the engine replacement. Took 7 -8 weeks, Jeep picked up my rental, Engine and radiator replaced. The Service advisor told me The out of pocket cost would have been $14,000, he stated that the extended warranty pays the dealer less, Just under $10k for the engine replacement, not including the radiator. The whole thing F-ng blows to have to go through, Hope this info helps and good luck.
you have the max lifetime warranty and the dealer put you on the hook for $2500? That sounds so wrong......dirty pool! I just don’t get it. How did they explain that ?

·
Registered
248 Posts
you have the max lifetime warranty and the dealer put you on the hook for $2500? That sounds so wrong......dirty pool! I just don’t get it. How did they explain that ?
"I had to sign a contract that I would pay the fee for engine breakdown $2500, If the warranty did not approve the engine replacement."

In the end, My cost was the $100.00 deductible with the Max care warranty. But, yes If the warranty was not approved, I could have been on the hook for the engine breakdown $2500.00. The service advisor stated he has never had to charge anyone and it would be extremely unlikely - still I could have been screwed. I imagine if you already have a diagnosis like an oil burning consumption test you probably do not have to sign the agreement. If anyone else here has a different experience they could chime in. It is in the Max care warranty contract. I believe, It's been a while.

·
Registered
776 Posts
OK, thanks for the update. I guess if they figure somehow you voided the warranty, you are responsible for the tear down. Glad it worked out for you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts